Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2003 F-350 with 6.0 diesel. I have had all the

Customer Question
upgrades done.....new heads, new ford...
I have a 2003 F-350 with 6.0 diesel. I have had all the upgrades done.....new heads, new ford head gaskets, apr studs, egr delete. I am currently on a long trip pulling a 10,000 pound trailer. I have noticed steam and water coming out of the coolant cap. The truck seems to overheat every 400-500 miles after losing coolant. New thermostat was installed and a new coolant reservoir cap. Any ideas what else could be causing this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
10/26/2015
Ford Mechanic: James, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
James, Ford Technician

Hello, when this work was done was the degas bottle or cap ever replaced?

both have been replaced

This may be an instance where a phone call may help a lot more. Do you have a way to monitor coolant temp at all? Does it lose coolant driving in town? Do you ever hear the fan turn on?

Loses small amount of coolant in town. How do you know if fan turns on?

When the fan turns on it almost sounds like an air plane. They are very loud. If you fan isn't turning on when it needs to then that can be the cause of your concern.

James, Ford Technician