HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 99 windstar drove fine sounded fine yesterday its a

Customer Question

I have a 99 windstar drove fine sounded fine yesterday its a rainy day today always had rough starts on rainy days but today its a loud knock which seems to be coming from the lower pass side of the motor when I rev I can see the plenum flex my 5yr old claims he put trans fluid in oil yesterday I am not sure how that could of happened or how he would of even lifted the hood would it cause this . the van is old I don't even know if I should bother to put another dime in it . could a oil change fix this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, if the upper intake manifold is plastic and you feel the noise coming from inside there they had issues with the upper intake plenum chamber seperating and causing a knocking noise so you can replace the plenum and it should take care of the noise. Trans fluid in the oil shouldnt affect too much depending on the amount put in. It acts like a cleaner inside the engine and will break up sludge deposits. So draining the oil and changing the filter will help that. Far as the running rough with raining would mostlikely be an issue with either a bad ignition wire or problem with the camshaft or crankshaft sensor which may store codes when checked with a scan tool.