Mastertechuk
Mastertechuk, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Master tech
84635724

My 2005 Ford Taurus (3.0, sohc, gas) AC clutch had a mind of

Customer Question

My 2005 Ford Taurus (3.0, sohc, gas) AC clutch had a mind of it's own. Stopped responding to controls, sometimes always on, now always off. When on, AC worked great and shop found nothing wrong and cooled excellent (intermittent issue). Now dealer says need new compressor for $1900., and more if not the problem. Any way to activate the clutch to see if it is a short or solenoid/relay issue ? Thanks. Harry
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mastertechuk replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin the compressor has a two pin plug on it give it a live and an earth and you will hear clutch click in and out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kevin.Thanks for your reply, but how do I do this while the vehicle is running to engage the clutch, without getting caught up in the belt ?

You don't need car running if when you do this clutch pulls in and stays in you know that the clutch / compressor is good