Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I've got a 1995 ford quigley van with approx. 260000 on it.

Customer Question
The motor run ok. I've...
I've got a 1995 ford quigley van with approx. 260000 on it. The motor run ok. I've noticed it doesn't like the 4 barrel kicking in up hills (iit doesn't always kick in when I floor it) & the trans I think started to slip. When I started it today I went down the road and it lost power at approx. 35 mph I slowed down & it kicked in again I went a little farther and it happened again I turned around & went back home I checked the trans fluid it seems to be at the hot level. do you think its the trans the motor sound ok do you think it just needs a service or replacement or could it be something else?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
1995 TRANS MISSION CODE U
5.0 MOTOR
10/23/2015
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 2 years ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

I would drop the trans pan and inspect for metal shavings, replace the fluid and filter and see how it does. This can also be fuel starvation or plugged exhaust causing these symptoms.

Thanks, Ron

I did almost run out of fuel the other day maybe I sucked up some sludge from the bottom of the tank
I'll check it out now before I rate you but I think you nailed it

Great, thanks,

turned out it was the transmission control module I was told if I had dropped the pan there a was a good chance that the trans could have totally failed if it had been something inside but I'm no mechanic that's why I asked you I won't give you a bad rating Like you said you weren't able to touch, hear, see or smell it and not being a mechanic I probably didn't explain it well

I appreciate it

Thanks

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor