Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2009 Ford Focus Car won't start, when I attempt to turn it

Customer Question

2009 Ford Focus
Car won't start, when I attempt to turn it over there is just a whirling sound
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

Is it a loud whirling sound? Coming from under the vehicle or the dash area?

The starter on this car has two actions that it performs when you turn the key; first it pushes the starter drive gear outward so that it contacts the flywheel, and then it turns the starter motor, thus turning the engine. If the part of the starter that extends the drive gear has gone bad, the starter will just spin the motor without contacting the flywheel and turning the engine. Does it sound like an electric motor spinning?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it does
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

I think that portion of your starter has gone out. The starter needs to be replaced. Do you plan to change it your self?

The only other option could be that the flywheel has broken, but that's not very likely and would make a horrible scraping noise.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, this is my son's car, so I will leave it up to him on what to do...ty for your help
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

Ok. Let me know if you need any diagrams or additional info if he decides to do it himself. Thanks!