James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 6.0 superduty. Got in it over the weekend, started

Customer Question

I have a 6.0 superduty. Got in it over the weekend, started it, shifted into reverse but would not go into gear. Will not go into drive either. What could be the issue?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the first thing I would do is check the fluid level and make sure it's at the proper level. If the fluid level is ok try manual 1st and see if the transmission will move?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
James, I have actually already changed the fluid, and filter. It is not a manual truck but rather, an automatic.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Correct but rather than drive go into 1st or I call it manual 1st. This is still drive but with braking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried all of the gears. Also tried putting it in 4 wheel low and high but still just sits still. Really odd because it ran great when I parked it last.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

How long was it parked for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still there?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am. That doesn't really add up. How many miles are on this? Do you have a way to test line pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The truck has 249,000 on it. I don't understand what you mean about line pressure. It actually sounds like something electrical to me. Is there a switch or sensor that engages the gears? The RPMs even change when I put it down into drive, but no movement.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Electrical shift solenoids are used to shift the transmission between gears. If the vehicle has a programmer I would remove it. If the vehicle was towed I would make sure the manual linkage is connected on the transmission. As the engine runs and the torque converter spins the transmission builds pressure. This pressure is controlled by line pressure. You can use an oil pressure gauge to actually test line pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the truck has not been towed. I do have an SCT programmer on it. Earlier in the year I spent 8,000.00 on the truck putting new injectors, head studs, egr delete, ficm, turbo, tuner, high pressure oil pump, etc. I do not run the truck hard. Just like to have the power in case I need it. I have noticed it dropping more oil than usual. Could this be a sign of the issue? I do not have the equipment necessary to check the line pressure.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Is it oil leaking or transmission fluid?