Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2007 Ford F150 Lariat, 5.4 Triton engine. It began

Customer Question

Hi Brian
I have a 2007 Ford F150 Lariat, 5.4 Triton engine. It began to behave as if it was missing at time, especially when I pulled uphill and stopped (engine making noise and shaking the whole truck). at times I could hear a rocker arm knocking, but no engine checklights, low oil lights or engine pressure lights coming on. I took it to a Ford dealership last week and today I was told the engine needs to be replaced at only 142,000 miles! I have had oil changes done religiously!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

What you describe sounds like failed or failing cam phasers of valve timing actuators. Most of the dealers will just recommend a replacement engine when they start to fail because of the cost of replacing the timing chain if it is faulty as well. I would probably try replacing the cam actuator solenoids first. They are shown in this illustration as variable cam timing solenoids and are fairly easy to replace. I attached diagrams to show replacement as well.

If replacing the actuators doesn't do any good then you probably would be better off replacing the entire engine. I hate to say it, but it would make more sense in the long run than replacing the timing components.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Also, check the oil for metal content. Wipe the dipstick with your finger and hold it in bright sunlight. If you see sparkles and gray metal then the engine is most likely finished.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to see if you need more help. Please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Don't forget to rate (that's how we experts get paid).

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.