Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2000 F250, 6.8L V10. I only have 50300 miles on it,

Customer Question
Hey Chris, I have a...
Hey Chris, I have a 2000 F250, 6.8L V10. I only have 50300 miles on it, purchased by me new. I only use synthetic oil in it and have never gone more than 5K miles on an oil change. I use 5w20 winter and 5w30 summer. Just recently I have started to here a rattle noise from inside the cab, when driving low speed after startup. I removed accessory belt and the noise is still present, if you rev to about 1500 rpm. It is coming from under the R/S cam Valve cover as far as I can tell. I have been a mechanic for 30 years, the last 22 for Volvo corporate. (bought truck when we were owned by Ford) So I am capable of fixing this myself, I thinking it is play in valve train on the R/S but wanted an opinion from a Ford Tech. I don't drive this truck hard at all, and as you can see, mileage is extremely low. It seems after driving for some miles it alleviates itself. I'm thinking possible a bad lifter/Cam follower as it seems to go away after time. The oil pressure gage always reads the same, about
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/18/2015
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, yes t hat sounds about right, a lifter could be bleeding down. Best thing to do would be to remove the valve cover and run the engine to isolate the area of the noise, which will be messy but know exactly what area of the right side of the valve train is causing the issue. take a good look at the camshaft lobes. I have seen even with low mileage pitting in the cam lobe that has caused some engine noise as the rocker rolls against the bad spot. Sometimes if the engine sits a while it will build up varnish in the valve guides and cause the valve to hang and actually spit a rocker arm out(if its been sitting a long time). So take a good look at all the cam lobes and rockers. If no signs of damage. Pop off a cam cap and inspect for any wear, should be a smooth surface, if any ridges or lines in the cam journal to the head, the camshaft would need replacing

Hey Gene, thanks for the advice, I just took it out for a short ride to see if the noise subsides after warming up. Sure enough, after about 1 mile the noise completely disipates. I am with you on the bleeding down lifter, it seems to be logical, maybe pitted lobe like you suggest, as on initial cold start, it sounds more like a rattle as the rocker follows the cam lobe.

Yup, Ive seen all sorts of things regardless of miles. I just got done replacing a crankshaft in a 2001 Excursion V10 with 123k miles for two main bearing s wiped out and spun but ran fine otherwise.So pay close attention to detail when the valve cover is removed

How did you make out.If you need more help or information please ask. If I was helpful please hit accept and leave positive feedback so I get credit for helping you.

HDGene, I'm going to take off the cover on the weekend. It's my only transportation right now, as a single dad raising an 8 year old daughter. So I'll check it over, see if I can pinpoint problem, put it back together, then order the parts. If something deeper, not sure what plan will be at this point. Thanks though, you were big help, I don't have any experience with those engines but basics remain the same no matter what brand...

No problem, wasnt sure if you dove into it or not and its pretty basic engine stuff, just inspect everything and check for any wear or defects.

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans