Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Error code P0046. Hard code. When cleared, reappears within

Customer Question
Error code P0046. Hard...
Error code P0046. Hard code. When cleared, reappears within 5 seconds. Checked power at actuator connector. 12 volts on green wire. Any suggestions for a repair?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
10/16/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Since voltage is present to the solenoid, enter the output state control with a scan tool. Install a test light between the 2 wires in the VGT electrical connector and turn key on. Command the VGT to below 10% duty cycle then to 85% duty cycle. The test light should go out as duty cycle is driven low and get steadily brighter as ramped up. If no illumination of test light, check for high resistance or open circuit in the control wire of the VGT solenoid. Normally this ends up in order of most common to least common. VGT harness damaged, PCM, and VGT actuator.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Not in possession of a scan tool. Was hoping to narrow issue to either a circuit, or the solenoid. With a full 12V present on the green wire, was not sure if that was "good", or "bad." Doesn't matter if I hook up wires in reverse, or even putting them together. P0046, no matter what.

Do not connect the wires together, that would damage the computer and the circuit. Without a scan tool to diagnose, you will only be able to OHM test the wires to and from the VGT to see if there is resistance. Beyond that you would have to guess.

I really hate that you came to Just Answer, paid to get an answer, but appears like you left not happy nor pleased with my help. I am still here available to help more. We can start over or just pick up where we left off. Let me know what I can do, so you will be pleased with my assistance.

Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician