Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

05 f150 cut off Like I turned the switch off. Blowed fuse

Customer Question

05 f150 cut off Like I turned the switch off. Blowed fuse 102 ignition power feed. Keeps blowing same fuse when key is in run position
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

There is a dark blue/light green wire that goes from ignition switch back to fuse box. If this fuse is blowing it either means wire is shorting to ground or ignition switch has failed. Access wire going to ignition switch to see if dark blue/green wire shorted to ground, if so then run a new wire. If not then replace the ignition switch. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will check it in the morning and let you know
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, I'll talk to you then. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If this is the right wire I'm getting continuity with an ohm meter to ground so it must be shorted some where
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unplugged the harness that wire goes to at fuse panel. Getting no short on wire but a short on the male stud that wire goes to at fuse panel
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
it sounds like the fuse panel has internally shorted needing to be replaced. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anything else maybe to check before I spend $400 on a fuse panel. I've seen this is pretty common with these trucks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid not, if it was anything else there would be other fuses blowing. I would recommend buying a used one to save money. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New fuse panel and same fuse still blowing.?????
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Let me look into this some more, thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It looks like there are two diagrams in my manual for this fuse. The other diagram shows some other circuits. Check to see if red/light green wire at pin 7 of fuse box is shorted to ground. If so disconnect each coil one at a time to see if short goes away, if so replace that coil. Let me know, thanks.

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only shorted wire I can find is brown/yellow. The red/ green on the other harness is not shorted
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I found the problem. Both wires.... The brown/yellow and the black that go to the fan motor are shorted. The brown/yellow is not shorted if I unplug the harness from the fan. Maybe the fan motor is shorted out?????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant brown/white instead of black
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does fuse stop blowing if keeping fan unplugged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then that wouldn't cause the problem. Did you ever check to see if red/light green wire at pin 7 of fuse box is shorted to ground?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drove the truck all evening with the fan unplugged and it done fine. The red/light green is not shorted
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I misread what you said. If fuse DOES stop blowing with fan unplugged then fan needs to be replaced. Let me know how it goes, sorry about the confusion. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you would like instructions to replace fan. Thanks.