Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Same problem as this fellow named. Ford F150 2002 4.2 v6

Customer Question

same problem as this fellow named Jim. Ford F150 2002 4.2 v6 truck. Crank shaft bolt came out and truck stopped. Replaced crankshaft pulley, idler arm pulley and tensioner pulley and 3 belts. makes chirping sound in morning , when put in gear it stops. Help!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for you question,

The most common cause for the chipping noise you are describing on your 4.2 is usually caused by a failing Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor synchronizer and when they become noisy they can also cause the engine to stall. I would start first with check the synchronizer located on the front of the engine to see if its the source of the noise your hearing, if it is then it needs to be replaced which should solve the problem you are having. I have enlcosed the replacement steps as well well as location in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the steps. Have a look and post back if you need more help and or have more questions and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Camshaft%20Position%20%28CMP%29%20sensor%20synchronizer%20%20Oct%2015.pdf

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced the CMS already, I bought a OEM part because it was cracked. It only chirps in the mornings. When i replaced the idler arm pulley and tensioner pulley, it seems as if the chirp has gotten louder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the CMS was replaced a couple of years ago. Do I need to replace again.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Start first with rechecking it , if you have a stethoscope it will help you determine if the noise is coming from it. If it checks okay then try pulling the drive belt off and see if the noise clears, if then does then you likely have eaither a bad bearing on one of the pulleys or the belt is glazed. Check both and let see if we can narrow this down for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. will do.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

This sure does point to the synchronizer just because the engine is stalling, I could be wrong . Lets check it anyways just to be sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine only stalled when the bolt came out on interstate. They are checking with stethoscope now.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if your not hearing any noise out of it then remove the drive belt and run it for a few minutes to see if the noise clears.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He wants to know how is he going to hear the chirping and is it possible to start without the belt on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes its okay to start the engine with the belt off, just do not leave it running to long to avoid overheating the engine. If the chipping is not coming from the synchronizer then if its caused by the pulleys and or the belt the noise should be gone with the belt off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is now going to start without the belt. LOL. stubborn men!
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

LOL, sure thing. Just make sure he dose not leave it running to long, it will not take long to see if the chirp is gone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm giving you 5 stars no matter what, just for dealing with us! lol!
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well thank you for sure but you are no trouble at all. Glad to be able to try and help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no chirping sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yay!!! So excited, waiting for the cause!!!
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then that means you have either a bearing problem on one of the pulleys or the drive belt is glazed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new belt, we replaced it 3 times!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how to find out which pulley..
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then go back in and spin each pulley , one of them has to be bad. If they check okay then the noise may be coming from from the crank pulley. If its gone with the belt off it has to be caused by one of the pulleys.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they spun each pulley and they seem fine.How do we find out which one?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

About the only other way would be to install the belt and carefully place you stethoscope on each component as close to the pulleys as you can with out getting hit by the fan and see if you can hear it. It has to be one of them if the noise is gone with the belt removed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, we will attempt to find which one.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay, Im here if you need me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is very little glazing on belt, it is a delco brand. Should he attempt to change the belt again with a OEM?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Before you do that, take some spray lube like WD 40 and spray it while its running and see if the noise clears, if it dose then its the belt and then replace it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked all pulleys,, took off tensioner and put back on and then put belt back on......chirping is gone for today! Go figure!!!
Thank you!!
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

May have just been the position of it, hopefully you got it resolved. If not, I'm here if you need me even after you rate my service, all you need to do is post back on this post if you need me.