Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

While working on the overhead console in my 2004 Explorer, I

Customer Question
inadvertently shorted out the dome...
While working on the overhead console in my 2004 Explorer, I inadvertently shorted out the dome like resulting in a loss of significant component functionality. The car runs, but I have no interior lights, instruments, radio, climate control, power windows, moon roof, etc. I do have headlights, tail lights, turn signals, power seats, windshield wipers, etc.
I've checked individual fuses both under the dash and under the hood and everything tests out OK with my continuity tester.
Currently looking for a wiring diagram to get more clues like some kind of sub-panel fuse or ??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
10/13/2015
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you have a voltmeter or test light?

both
I checked relevant fuses and many others with my continuity tester

ok, in the fuse box under the dash, there is a accessory delay relay, do you know where this is?

In addition to fuses, there are about 14 relays listed in the owners manual for the under hood fuse panel. None are labelled "accessory delay". There is a 60A cartridge fuse labeled "Delayed accessory, Power windows, Audio". It looks good and checks out good with the continuity tester.

this relay is in the fuse box under the dash, not in the engine compartment

Got it, let me check

let me know when you locate it,Tim

It's Relay #3

ok, remove the relay, and on th ebottom side of the relay, there will be numbers stamped on the relay, identifying each pin, they should be 30,85,86 and 87, then you need to check the socket where the relay plus in, you should have power on pins30 and 85, do you?

Checking, might take a bit of time, kinda hard to get to the under dash fuse panel

let me know,Tim

It's buried up under the dash where I can't get to it... Should I just replace the relay? I might be able to reach up and to that.

not yet, the relay supplies all the things that do not work, but we need to see if the pin 30n and 85 have power, before we replace anything,Tim

Any clues on how to access it?

you may have to drop the fuse box to access it,Tim

OK, I'll disconnect the battery and try that

we can check a few [power supplies for that relay, it may be easier than dropping the box?

That might be better. It's not obvious how to drop the box

ok, in the fuse box under the hood, there is a circuit breaker 47, can you check this circuit breaker, and also in the fuse bix under the dash, fuse 17 also goes to this relay, can you check both the circuit breaker and the fuse, and see if you have power on both sides of each?

OK

let me know,Tim

Under dash #17 definitely has power both sides. Under hood #47 horn relay, hard to tell since it has 5 poles. Definitely power on one side from the battery to two of the poles. Tried sticking a small wire in the other side while plugging in the relay, no power, though not sure it was because of the way I tested it.
Horn works
OK, I'll check #62 Power Window CB. #47 in the owners manual is the horn relay.

yes, check that and see if power is on both sides?

Confirmed. Power both sides of the CB

ok, now we need to go back and see if both the pins 30 and 85 have power at the relay, I know its tight, but we need to know,Tim

OK, I'll go back to researching how to drop the fuse panel

Another thing we can try, at the dome light assembly, there are 4 wires, how many if any have power?

OK, both 30 and 85 have power
Since it's out of the car, I'm bench testing the relay now
Bench test of the relay, ussing gthe method in the link below, shows connectivity and that it's working properly.
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/misc-index/relay-bench-tests-2
Arrgh...

OK, DID YOUHAVE A CHANCE TO CHECK THE 4 WIRES AT THE OVERHEAD CONSOLE AND SEE HOW MANY HAD POWER?

Are you still there?
I need to put the relay back in to test the 4 wires, which may take some time.

yes , I will be on and off all day long,Tim

OK, Thanks

you bet,Tim

None of the 4 wires going to the dome light have power
Not sure if I mentioned, the car does run and drive, but I have no tach, speedometer, climate control, or audio. No gauges including fuel, temp or oil pressure. None of the idiot lights come on as the key is turned on to start.
Tim, Are you there?
While working on the Accessory Delay Relay under the dash, I also checked the Battery Saver Relay which was also good.
Are you there today?

ok, the power from those come from the battery saver relay, if the 17 fuse is good, then the batery saver relay is getting power on 2 wires, but not getting a ground from the instrument cluster, can you remove the relay and see if the 86 has a good ground,Tim

OK, I'll check it
There is no 86 on the Battery Saver Relay, it's a smaller relay. Did you mean the Delayed Accessory Relay position 86?

the battery saver relay may be labled 1,2,3 and 4, is it?

Ok, pin 2 should have good ground, with the key on?

Checking now
Pin 2 on the Battery Saver relay is grounded with key on, key off and even when the battery is disconnected.

ok, if you have power 1 and 3 of the battery saver rely, and a good ground on the 2 pin, but no power going out to the dome light assembly, then you have a bad relay, or a open wire inside the fuse box,Tim

I do have power to 1 and 3, and ground to 2. I bench tested the relay, in fact, I swapped it with another relay and both bench tested good. Must be a fried wire.
When I accidentally shorted the dome light (which started this whole mess) I didn't smell electrical smoke, so I expected a blown fuse. As I've said, it's affecting a ton of other things. Would a fried wire to the dome light cause all the other components to fail?
If it's a fried wire, I would expect it to be part of fuse 17. Does that make sense?
Found the problem......
It was a seemingly unrelated 15A fuse for the courtesy lights that blew when the dome lights were shorted. Shocked that it affected so much stuff.

Glad you got it fixed,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH