Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a '84 f700 with the 370 cdi engine. It was running

Customer Question

I have a '84 f700 with the 370 cdi engine. It was running fine when i stopped for lunch, but afterwards, it would not start. Had good spark and fuel flow to carb. Seems like it has lost compression. Could this be a timing chain? What should i check next?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 2 years ago.

Have you checked the compression?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have not checked compression. It seemed to be running fine when i shut the vehicle down. Started okay 20 minutes prior to shut down. What would explain such a rapid lose of compression?

I am not so sure that you have lost all your compression. You mentioned that it seems like it has no compression. That's why I asked. Have you tried starting it with starting fluid?

That engine is a fairly low compression engine in the first place, so it may sound like it has no compression when it cranks and cranks but won't start.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try the ether, but I'm a little skeptical...the reason being that I felt the engine was flooded. Is it normal for the carb to pulse jets of fuel during cranking. With the air cleaner cover removed and throttle plate closed, I observed rather larger squirts of fuel jetting into the throttle body. Is that normal?

I am not sure what "large" is, but it will inject fuel while you are cranking, yes. It doesnt sound like your problem is a lack of fuel if your seeing it injecting fuel. Does the engine even act like it wants to start? How have you determined that you have spark?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doesn't fire at all ...even though there is strong spark ( observed at distributor cap and plug lead).

Did you check for spark between the cap and the plugs using an inline spark tester?

Also, inspect the cap and rotor for cracks and moisture.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All I had was a piece of baler wire. Inserted one end of wire into plug wire connector and held other end close to d-cap terminal while my wife cranked the engine. Truck is still setting at location where it stopped... about 40 miles away from where I live.

Ok. harbor freight sells an inline spark tester for pretty cheap. You plug it between the plug wire and the spark plug. Verify that you have spark at your plugs and inspect your cap and rotor.

Has it been raining where your at?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No rain in several weeks. I popped the d-cap. It was dry inside.

I am curious, have you tried starting it after letting it sit for a while?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will try that on Wednesday ( tomorrow). With regard to the carb, I understand some fuel is required for starting, but doesn't that occur on the backside of the throttle plate where vacuum is highest. The "squirts" I have observed are emanating above the venturi assembly and in the vicinity of the float chamber cover. Would "starting" fuel be entering there?

I am going to opt out since my experience with that engine is rather limited. Hopefully somebody here has more experience with that engine and can send you off tomorrow with some better advice as to what to check for or what the issue at hand may be.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** should be no fuel entering the carb that high, unless you are pumping the throttle, have you pulled the plugs and seen if it is wet with fuel?