Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

New problem have 11volt drain on battery with systems off,

Customer Question

new problem
have 11volt drain on battery with systems off, even after battery disconnected overnite.
have put tester between neg terminal and neg battery wire (disconnected) and pulled each fuse in turn. None affected the drain.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Can you do the same thing you did but this time set your meter to DC milliamps?

When you remove all the fuses were the doors closed when getting this reading and were all fuses removed and left out?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine and have went to many schools and classes to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating one of the answers, not the questions, you receive is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Autozone tested the battery and charging system yesterday.
They said all was ok.
Battery tested 12.7 v and the charging system 13.3.
Re above response--the doors were closed, the hood light disconnected, I replaced each fuse after cking the meter so I would not forget where they went.

Can you get me the mA reading for the draw and this time remove and leave the fuses out. I have a fuse diagram if you do not have a owners manual.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is too late at night in Atlanta to try access the vehicle tonight. I guess I can start over tomorrow afternoon with you.

That will be perfect. I am just one state north of you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, back on the case
I just clicked the call me button. Cris, it would be great if you were the one returning my call since you spoke with me yesterday.

Sorry but I do not do electrical diag over the phone, there is to much time delay while waiting on test results. Though someone else will call you if they feel they can help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, the mA reading was zero, but if was also zero when I tested a new AA flashlight battery, so my tester may not give accurate miliamp readings.
What is the significance of leaving all the fuses out of the fusebox? I did them one at a time and the drain (varies between 11v and 9.5v) persists.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is critical to have a mA reading of the drain, I will buy a new multimeter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are we connected? should I try back monday?

I thought you were going to get help over the phone so I signed off to go to a 6 year old Bday party. I have never tried a parasitic draw on a voltage setting since Ford does state to do it that way. So with a 11 volt reading I can not tell how much of a drain you have, to even give you a hint where to look. You remove and leave out all fuses per the test to diagnose this. I can share that test with you if you would like. Many things are powered through more than one fuse so you would remove all fuses till you saw the mA draw drop significant to around 80 mA or less.

Amps drawn from the battery is what kills it, not volts.