A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

CODE 1336 2006 ZEPHYR, DIES AND THEN NO START LITTLE WHILE.

Customer Question

CODE 1336 2006 ZEPHYR, DIES AND THEN NO START FOR A LITTLE WHILE. NO COIL TRIGGER AT THAT TIME. WHEN CRANKING IT FIRES ERRATICLY AND PINGS LIKE OUT OF TIME. WAIT A FEW MINS IT WILL CRANK BACK UP FOR A MIN THEN DIE AGAIN.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2006 zephyr, p1336 code. replaced crank and both cam sensors. looked for wire harness issues. engine runs then dies as it warms up. when trying to restart it pings and locks like out of time firing. when cranking have no coil trigger, when it pings I get a one trigger at the coils then none. wait a litte while to cool down then it starts but will die within a min.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it always has crank or rpm signal on ids and the tach on dash
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you can on the ids the pids screen they drop off all 6 cyls but still has rpm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just realized if you hold it off idle it will shut off and recover back on before the engine quits rolling. you do hear a ping when it turns back on. it won't run a running test because it needs to be warmed up and off accel or it will abort test.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.

What engine does the Zephyr have, V6 or 4 cylinder?
Are you still getting the P1336?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
v-6 engine. when it came to my shop two weeks ago it had two internal memory failure codes....one was rpm and the other was mass air flow...p061c and p061d, replaced pcm. two weeks later doing the same thing! as long as you don't idle it won't die, the engine shuts off for a second and then comes back on. if idling it will die. I hear a ping and slight backfire in the intake if off idle. when you try to restart it tries to start like out of time, ie..ping and engine locks momentary.

Give me the VIN#. I want to run this past my Ford engineer friend in Dearborn. Also the mileage.

Are you getting the two same codes, P061C and P061D?
I cannot see a new PCM cause the same exact codes. I found nothing in Fords database for those codes, but my engineer friend has a bigger database to pull from.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
vin# ***** did get back a p061c after a week of running and watching it die. also there is a pats code that appeared...I don't remember the code, cleared out to repeat testing a week ago. maybe a u1681? never came back yet. I got a feeling this is a RF type signal from alt. or secondary ignition feeding back driving the pcm nuts and me too! will check plugs in a few mins make sure someone didn't stick bosch or something in there and remove alt. from power and see. i'll let you know.

Look into the RF problem with the alternator. Also inspect the harness from the crank sensor tot he PCM. You could also have am ignition coil causing the problem also, and no have a miss fire or rough idle concern. Aftermarket coils will cause this problem. And you are correct about the spark plugs. DO not use Bosch in Ford engines. They have way too low resistance and will cause all kinds of issues.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
got it....pulled plugs this morning, were the factory copper plug, the part number changed to a platinum motorcraft. original coils, no signs of burning or carbon tracking. never had a misfire concern. looked at the three in the front on a scope all perfect patterns, very hard to reach the rear three except maybe at the pcm harness. I did disconnect the alt harness and ran the car. three to five mins and it dropped dead. just like you turn the key off. when trying to restart something new happened.....the slight back fire and ping and engine locked for a second, like timing too high on a dist. car. the new thing is the engine kicked backwards and then on the next turn over it sounded like no compression like a timing belt broke or lifter collasped. I know this a chain, lol. waited a min and tried again sounded good and stared. what the hell !!!!! remember I unplugged the alternator well the check charge light stays on now but I didn't get the look see if a no charge code appeared or even if the alt is charging now....whew what a ride this is! by the way this car has 70,000 miles on it and real clean. like I said you can drive it and you'll get a jerk when it tries to shut down but won't die because the rpms are up. it seems like it is getting more frequent in the bay. it will not start back up till you leave it sit for a couple of mins. I had a scope on the cmp and cp senors and as the engine dies the signal slows down and quits. I never hooked up at the pcm to see if still there. wearing out the battery terminals pcm behind battery on firewall. on the ids pids screen the cyl firing does go away right before or as it dies. it does not crank up like its flooded, like injectors hang open or anything. its smooth on crank up just have to wait for something to cool down a few mins it seems.

I am glad you have an IDS. That helps a lot. I am still waiting to hear back from Ford on this one. I should hear back tomorrow around noon. Sometimes it takes a while for them to reply back

But this new information really helps. I'll send this to them also.