Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My 2007 Explorer dashboard is getting dimmed

Customer Question

Hi, my 2007 Explorer dashboard is getting dimmed
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

Why was the ignition switch replaced and was this lighting issue happening before or immediate after this repair?

Can you go into more detail on dimmed? Are you saying your unable to make the light intensity brighter for night time driving?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine and have went to many schools and classes to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating one of the answers, not the questions, you receive is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,
Yes that is exactly what I meant to say "unable to make the light intensity brighter for night time driving" This issue started a year ago. The reason behind changing the ignition switch is to rectify the dashboard issue but didn't work
Thanks

Thanks, ***** ***** the dimmer will not effect the interior illumination, with the headlights on the interior lights are as dim as they will go?

This is effecting all interior lights not just some of them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sometimes the interior lights are not going on when I open the doors or unlock the doors by the remote control. Also, sometimes the dimmer switch isn't functioning

When you open the door the overhead COURTESY lights come on.

When you turn on the headlights, many things on the dash, door, and steering wheel light up, those are the INTERIOR lights.

With your last response its hard to tell which lights you are experiencing issues with?

When you open and close the doors with it running, does the door ajar light in the instrument cluster always act according?

I will be away for a few hours after this post but will be back tonight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris,The interior ceiling lights not going on when I open the doors and they don't also when I unlock the doors by the remote control.Yes, when the door opens the instrument cluster always shows door ajar.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the engine sign in the instrument cluster comes on most of the time

Thanks for the update. On the CEL on, that needs to go on a new post. We are only allowed to diagnose one issue per post, website rules. If the overhead lights work when manually turned on then the ground and bulbs are fine. That leaves a faulty smart junction box or a broken power wire from the SJB to the courtesy lamps. Can you do the steps below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/07explorercourtdiag.pdf

I hate that you spent money here, and left, what appears to be not pleased with me or my help. I am still here and available to help. We can pick up where we left off or start over.

Chris