Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I have a 2001 FORD WINDSTAR rebuilt engine and the mechanic

Customer Question

I have a 2001 FORD WINDSTAR rebuilt engine and the mechanic says he is not honoring my warranty because the oil changes were not done in their time frame. This is even though I did do them in a reasonable time frame. My car engine should not of gone bad, and how can I prove this in court if need be.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'd love to help.

Can I get some background info?

Did the mechanic give you a specific maintenance schedule to follow after replacing the engine?

Did the shop he or the shop he got the engine from provide any warranty requirement information?

What was the cause of the engine failure?

Do you have any records of oil maintenance on the engine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The mechanic did not but the place he bought the motor from did. They said the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles.
- yes the warranty is what said to change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles
- We don't know what was the cause of the failure......
- yes. we do.Ford maintenance requirements said change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles and in some cases every 10,000 miles.
can a irregular changing of the oil say 3,000 to 5,000 miles for the last 2.5 years cause the engine to seize?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I have the manual. but how do I know if the Oil and Filter is the cause of the problem?
Question. My wife said when the car stopped I thought the problem was overheating. I told her to put water in the radiator reservoir. She said when she did that the water was running out somewhere from the bottom.
- She said there was no indication that the engine was overheating none whatsoever.
- Why would the water be leaking out when she was filling the reservoir?
Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

The place where the engine was purchased can impose a more strict service interval requirement if they desire. If the mechanic that installed it didn't make that service requirement clear then he could be considered negligent.

The whole argument hinges on why the engine failed. If it failed because of lack of oil, then I would say that more frequent maintenance would have prevented it. If it sprang a coolant leak and overheated then I don't know what kind of warranty they should offer, unless they claimed to have replaced whatever part began leaking and their warranty included that part.

When you are checking for Ford's service requirement make sure you are following the "severe service" recommendation. It will always be argued that the vehicle is used under severe service conditions any time there is stop and go driving, dust, short trips, idling, and/or temperature changes (just about everyone in the US falls under this category).

Who has the vehicle now, and can a cause of failure be narrowed down to lack of lubricant?

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

I just wanted to check and see if you need any more help. Please don't forget to rate (that's how they pay us).

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

Please don't forget to rate. Thanks!

Expert:  Jared D replied 2 years ago.

I just wanted to see if you need more help. Please don't forget to rate.