Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 99 F250 5.4 Super Duty. OBD is reading -40 degrees.

Customer Question
Hi Chris. I have...
Hi Chris. I have a 99 F250 5.4 Super Duty. OBD is reading -40 degrees. Engine hesitates while driving. No misfires.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
10/6/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Has anyone installed one of those resistors on the vehicle to confuse the IAT reading to the PCM?

Not that I know of... Third owner of the truck. Thought it was initially fuel injectors or coils.. Or fuel pump.. But the mechanic I've been taking it to insists on it having something to do with the computer system
Whether it's a faulty or a corroded wire.. Confirmed the reading today that it was reading - 40. He said once he plugged a sensor back in it should read 1000 degrees????
Other opinions included a bad catalytic converter.

Are you getting any trouble codes? The cold IAT reading can effect the air fuel ratio and cause running issues. So we need to address the known issues prior to testing other things. Have you done any testing on the IAT in the MAF sensor or its wiring?

-----------PLEASE READ THIS------------

1. First of all, thanks for using Just Answer, and Thanks for letting me try to help you.

2. Sorry about the wait, we try our best to get to everyone fast.

3. Do not mistake the above or following posts from me as my last one. We can ask each other many questions, and I can post many answers.

4. I base my response on what you tell me, I am not there to see, smell, or hear, so please factor that in.

5. On your screen you see a rating. That is how I'm paid from your deposit for helping you. I am going to keep checking in on you to make sure your pleased with my help. Let me know if your planning to rate at a later date if not now.

6. If you decide to rate BAD it doesn't result in a refund, please respond first so I can help more.

7. I'm here normally 3pm-3am central everyday. Thanks again, Chris (aka-Moose)

I do plan on rating you at a later time. I do appreciate your help! To my knowledgethe truck wasn't throwing any other codes. And there has been no testing to the IAT.
Not yet anyways.. The truck does seem to be "dumping" a lot of fuel while driving.

Lets do those IAT tests first. See the steps below. I told you wrong on the IAT and MAF integrated, that si not until the next year model. The IAT is a stand alone sensor in the air intake tube to the throttle body.

Unplug the IAT connector and jump the Gray (GY) wire to the Gray/Red (GY/RD) wire and watch the IAT voltage reading on the scanner. If it goes to under 0.1 volts, replace the IAT. If the reading does not change, verify the GY and GY/RD wires are good from the connector back to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). If all is OK, replace PCM.

Thank you Moose. Am I able to ask you questions tomorrow as well?
I should mention over the past few weeks there have been moments where the truck drove great but never lasted more than two days. I commute to work about 50 miles total every day.

We have 7 days to try and get posts rated. After its rated the post is open forever.

Once we get the IAT reading right we can look into other residual issues remaining.

I am sorry you were not pleased with my help. I am still available if you would like to try again. I want you pleased with me.

Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician