Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

My 93 f-250 with a gas engine transmission shifts hard at

Customer Question

My 93 f-250 with a gas engine transmission shifts hard at times. I have been told there is a circuit board behind the dash that could be the problem. Have you heard of this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, can you send more detailed information? engine size? 4x4? or 2 wd? shift hard through all gears? anything else you can add? thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
460 cubic inch-2 wd-second gear shifts hard
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I need to opt out and open the post to the other experts, I am unsure on this one, sorry, One should be along soon to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your time!
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, i believe you are referring to the PSOM module or speedometer in the instrument cluster. if it looses vehicle speed information it can cause the trans to shift hard by putting it into a fail safe mode. Would have to verify and codes that might be stored but performing a key on engine off and key one ngine running test first along with checking trans fluid level and condition. Vehicle speed sensor code or other trans fault codes may be stored

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Take note of the speedometer action, if the needle is bouncing or moving erratic when driving, the signal to the trans module part of the PCM is not working properly and will cause the trans to default to a pre-set shift point and boost line pressure which will make for hard shifts. The only repair is to replace the speedo head.