Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Picked up a 99 ford e-250 5.4 with 2v, had plug number 3 and

Customer Question
Picked up a 99 ford...
Picked up a 99 ford e-250 5.4 with 2v, had plug blown number 3 and bought a kit to fix. So that's all good. now the next issue I have a noise which may appear to be coming from under the valve cover. It's not a tapping or knocking noise that I have heard on YouTube. I'd say it's only present at about 1-1.5k rpm before or after that range it's gone, once driven and warmed up a bit it disappears. Until I park somewhere and start it up again like running into lowes. Is there anyway to upload sound or video on here? So wanna know from experience what I should do or look for.Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
O and 130k miles history unknown except used as a plumbing truck for company.
10/3/2015
Ford Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Not a real good way to upload a video here, but upload it to youtube, make the settings public and then post the link to it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9oi6m9zb9c

HI,

It almost sounds like a rocker arm nut loose underneath the valve cluttering and getting kicked around in there.

In a van like this what is best method to take that cover off? It's very tight in that engine bay.

HI,

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  3. Remove the engine air cleaner (ACL) and the air cleaner outlet tube.
  4. Remove the engine cover.
  5. Remove the crankcase ventilation tube from the valve cover.

6.Remove the exhaust manifold to EGR valve tube.
    1. Disconnect the two hoses.
    2. Disconnect the upper and lower fittings.
    3. Remove the tube.

NOTE

The bolts are part of the valve cover and should not be removed.

6. Fully loosen the bolts and remove the valve cover.
  7. Inspect the valve cover gasket and clean the mating surface of the cylinder head.

To install:

NOTE

If not secured within four minutes, sealant must be removed and the sealing area cleaned with metal surface cleaner. Allow to dry until there is no sign of wetness, or four minutes, whichever is longer. Failure to follow this procedure can cause future oil leakage.

1. Position the valve cover and the valve cover gasket on the cylinder head, and loosely install the bolts.
  2. Tighten the bolts in sequence.

3. Connect the exhaust manifold to EGR valve tube.

1. Hand-tighten the upper and lower fittings.
    2. Tighten to 40-60 Nm (30-44 ft. lbs.).
    3. Connect the hoses.
  4. Connect the crankcase ventilation tube to the valve cover.
  5. Install the engine air cleaner and air cleaner outlet tube.
  6. Install the engine cover.
  7. Connect the battery ground cable.

Right Side

2. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  4. Remove the interior engine cover.
  5. Disconnect the oil fill tube.
  6. Remove the crankcase ventilation tube.
  7. Disconnect the radio ignition interference capacitor.
  8. Disconnect the engine wiring harness connectors.
  9. Remove the connectors from the bracket.
  10. Remove the ground strap and remove the bracket.
  11. Remove the fuel charging wiring from the valve cover studs.
  12. Disconnect the RH fuel injector connectors.
  13. Remove the RH ignition coils.
  14. Position the fuel charging wiring in the passenger compartment.

WARNING

Do not use metal scrapers, wire brushes, power abrasive discs or other abrasive means to clean the sealing surfaces. These tools cause scratches and gouges which make leak paths. Use a plastic scraper to remove all traces of old sealant.

NOTE

The bolts are part of the valve cover and are not to be removed.

15. Fully loosen the bolts and remove the valve cover.
  16. Inspect the valve cover gasket and clean the mating surfaces of the cylinder head.

To install:

NOTE

If the valve cover is not secured within four minutes, the sealant must be removed and the sealing area cleaned with metal surface cleaner. Allow the surface to dry until there is no sign of wetness or four minutes whichever is longer. Failure to follow this procedure can cause future oil leakage.

1. Apply a bead of silicone gasket and sealant in two places where the engine front cover meets the cylinder head.

2. Position the valve cover on the cylinder head and loosely install the bolts.
  3. Tighten the bolts in sequence to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).

4. Position the fuel charging wiring on the engine.
  5. Install the RH ignition coils.
  6. Connect the RH fuel injector connectors.
  7. Position the fuel charging wiring on the valve cover studs.
  8. Connect the A/C compressor and the crankshaft position sensor electrical connectors.
  9. Install the bracket and ground strap.
  10. Install the engine wiring harness connectors on the bracket.
  11. Connect the engine wiring harness connectors.
  12. Connect the radio ignition interference capacitors.
  13. Install the crankcase ventilation tube.
  14. Connect the oil fill tube.
  15. Install the interior engine cover.
  16. Install the air cleaner outlet tube and the engine air cleaner.
  17. Connect the battery ground cable.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager