Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1996 Ford escort have tried everything to get this

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Ford escort have tried everything to get this car to fire. No spark at all below is what I have already done but it didn't help
1. Replaced the ECM...Replaced the tank sensor...Replaced the cam sensor
2. Replace the Harmonic balancer
3. Replaced the coil pack///WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO GET THIS CAR TO FIRE?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

This is not an answer but instead an information request so please hold off on any rating.

Are you getting injector pulse?

Has the timing belt been checked to make sure the timing belt is turning the cams?

Is the computer setting any fault codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't give you the answers to all of these question just now....I can probably have the answers to your question in 1 hour
(CALL ME ON MY CELL PHONE AT(###) ###-####) I AM ON MY WAY TO WHERE MY CAR IS TO GET THE ANSWERS.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Post back when you can and we can work from there, I'm here all day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THEIR IS A INJECTOR PULSE...GAS IS COMING THROUGH FINE
YES THE TIMER BELT IS MOVING THE CAM
NO THERE IS NO FAULT CODE ON THE COMPUTER
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay if your sure you have injector pulse, was the engine checked for spark to the spark plugs and if so do you have good spark?

Has a compression test been done and if so what here the reading?

What kind of fuel pressure are you getting at the fuel rail?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THERE IS NO SPARK AT ALL TO THE SPARK PLUG...
HAVE NOT DONE A COMPRESSION CHECK...
FUEL PRESSURE AT THE RAIL IS READING 45-50
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

One last question, dose the check engine light com on with the key and go out while cranking the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ALL LIGHTS ARE COMING ON WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT....IT IS NOT COMING ON AT ALL EITHER WAY OFF OR TRYING TO START,.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The check engine light should illuminate whenever the engine is not running but the key is in the run position. If the check engine light does not illuminate with the key on when it doesn't start, it suggests that the PCM is not being powered up by the PCM power relay, or that the Vehicle Reference Voltage (VREF) signal is shorted out feeding the Throttle Position (TP) and Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensors. Why don't you try unplugging the DPFE sensor and see if the light come on and if so, see if the engine will now start. See the DPFE location in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/DPFE%20sept%2030.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WE DID UNPLUG THE DPFE. HOWEVER THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DID NOT COME ON....
WE ARE SHUTTING DOWN FOR TODAY...IF ANY MORE INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE PLEASE POST IT AND I WILL READ IT AND GO BACK AT IT AGAIN THURSDAY MORNING 1 OCTOBER 2015.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the check engine light is not coming on then you need to check for power to the PCM from the PCM relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron the ECM relay does not have any power coming into it.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

That would sure keep it from starting. There are two fuses that power the PCM relay, one is located in the interior fuse panel and one is located in the under hood panel, start with checking to see if they are not blown. See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference for the power to the relay. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/PCM%20relay%20Oct%202.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found both fuses to be ok....not blown.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then check and see if you have power at the relay on the wires shown in the wiring diagram. Have you checked that and if so do you have power at the relay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron after finding no ECM fuses blown...is there anything else I need to do to fix the problem?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Did the fuses hold after replacement and does it now start?