Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

HOW SHOULD IT TAKE TO REPLACE REAR BRAKES IN A 1997 F250

Customer Question

HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE TO REPLACE REAR BRAKES IN A 1997 F250 SUPER DUTY SEEING AS THEY HAVE TO REMOVE THE AXLE SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD AND WHAT WOULD BE AN AVERAGE COST AT A SHOP WITH THERE BEING NO PROBLEMS?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay, Can you send all specs? model? engine? 4x4? or not? and so on? thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a 1997 F250 super duty 2wd, 454 engine, extended cab, orginially set up for a 5th wheel. Now hitch tow. Auto transmission."
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, Was off when you replied, the book time to change the rear shoes is 2.8 hours, Brake shoes cost about $30 +/-, The shop may then add in some shop materials fee, Also, if they are refinishing the drums? that has to be factored in, so,, if you came to our shop? the estimate you would be given based on all of the above? $303.00. Now, no way for me to be accurate except for the book time I have noted, Most all shops follow the published book times. This is refinisfing drums, changing shoes etc

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

I believe Randall opted out. What is the amount of the estimate your garage gave you on both parts and labor?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
$450
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He said something about the cylinders? Makes it more expensive.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

I was just looking through the repair manual and the instructions didn't mention that he rear axle shafts had to come out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apparently some in that year did and some didn't. They changed then I'm the middle of the year. A few shops have told me.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

Well, at an average of about $75 an hour, 2.8 hours is $210. I would search yourself to see if you can save on the parts. If you allow them to provide the parts, chances are they are going to mark-up the price as much as 100% which is twice as much.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

You are welcome, don't forget to rate.