Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2005 ford focus zx5, and let someone spray carb

Customer Question
hi, i have a 2005...
hi, i have a 2005 ford focus zx5, and let someone spray carb cleaner in the TB/engine while it was running.didnt drive it too much afterwards anf let it sit the next day.2 days after i drove it into town and about 8 miles in while at a stoplight it starts sputtering and would also while i was driving.check engine light came on and i got codes checked,there were 19 ,some were crash memory full and airbag, also air flow and misfires.they reset it and shortly after it was sputtering again.had those check engine light codes checked and they were misfire on startup malfunction in primary/secondary circuit on A and D , and misfire on cylinder 2.since then ive been driving it alot on the highway and the sputtering problems are all gone, but it revs up to 2k rpm on startup and seems to idle higher in park and while driving. if im coasting at 30 on flat street it will stay at 30 without lower mph, and when i come up to a stop sign right before stopping the rpms surge for a quick second before dropping to idle.did maybe a sensor got a little messed up to begin to cause all the codes and misfires, but why is idle high and running different now.thank you very much ,jeff
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
9/27/2015
Ford Mechanic: Anthony, Ford Technician replied 2 years ago
Anthony
Anthony, Ford Technician

Hello!

What are the codes you have that begin with the letter "P"?

the second time when there were 5 i got p0302,p0316,p0351,p0354. after i got those cleared i swithed the 2 and 4 coil pack and went to have whatever else was on there cleared even though light was not on p0511 showed up on scanner
i see there is a phone conversation option, that would be good for me it youd prefer that too

Hi!

That shows #1 and #4 coil to be bad.

didnt know that was 18$. thought it was primary/secondary circuit malfunction, and the one was misfire on 2
all was fine before carb cleaner

I would start there. Theres not much I can explain even on the phone. You cant have a P035_ anything code. They mean the coils 1-4.

cant that be damage on a sensor causing all the readings?
hasnt been a problem since and ive been driving alot

Not the p0350 codes those are electrical problems with the coils. You need to fix them first. Hoes it now does it still have 350 codes in it?

no, they were cleared a week ago and no sputtering or problems of that sort
cancarb cleaner ruin coils?

Wait someone drowned th engine with carb spray when it was running and set a bunch of codes and now all the p codes are gone or do you still have a light on?

the codes came on while driving 2 days later and car sputtering so bad i thought i might not get home, but since then and codes cleared ive drove alot and had no problems or check engine lights like that. im mainly concerned with the hidh idle , staying at 30 mph with foot off pedal and slight surge of rpms before coming to a complete stop. car sounds different im guessing from high revs
i went to clear any potential codes ,even though light was off, the other day after switching coil 2 and 4 and p0511 was there

Try unhooking the battery for 15 minutes then take it for a light ride and let it warm up. How does it run now? Any better?

i did that and it didnt change
still there?

Did you do that tonight?

no a few days ago

Try it now if you can.

do it again , for 15mins ? you'll still be here in 20 minutes?

Yes.

i dont have the right tool where im at now to remove the cable, but ive already done this the other day so not sure why doing it again would matter
Anthony
Anthony
Anthony, Ford Technician