A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0L OHV engine. I had a leak in

Customer Question

Chris,
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0L OHV engine. I had a leak in the lower intake manifold as well as the timing chain cover. Also replace the head gaskets (with FelPro Super Duty Gaskets and new cylinder heads). Re-assembled the lower intake manifold with a Ford lower intake manifold gasket. Problem: the lower intake manifold surface is about a 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch lower than the mating surface of the cylinder head (both sides). Don't recall this initially.
Doug
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.

The intake will get tighten down properly to the height of the cylinder heads once the intake manifold bolts are properly torqued.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the response.I did not explain properly. The intake manifold bolts are torques to the correct value. The intake is below the surface of the cylinder head surface about 1/16 of an inch. I deduce from what you have written that the surfaces of the cylinder head and manifold should be even. Correct?

The intake will be slightly lower than the cylinder heads. Place silicone on the joint and the valve cover gasket will seal the joint and make it even.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great! Thanks very much. Very helpful and professional. Appreciate your help.V/R,Doug

You are very welcome. Thank you.'Anthony