Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

96 ford contour changed starter motor now will not shift

Customer Question

96 ford contour changed starter motor now will not shift gears
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

What liter engine?

Auto or manual transaxle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.0 liter engine with automatic transaxle

Are you saying the shifter is stuck in park or the shifter will move to all gears but the vehicle will not move under power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shifter moves but car is stuck in one gear when moves under power, just noticed speedo does not work either? can speed sensor be the problem if so where is it located?

Okay so the shifter will move to all gears, drive and reverse work, although in drive it will not upshift, correct?

If that is the case along with the speedometer failure, then it is likely a concern at or with the vehicle speed sensor. Follow the passenger front axle shaft to the transaxle, where the shaft enters the transaxle the VSS sensor is right there near it standing up vertically.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris