Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford Edge 2007, 249K miles. Misfires, engine light blinking,

Customer Question
Hi Steve, Ford Edge 2007...
Hi Steve, Ford Edge 2007, 249K miles. Misfires, engine light blinking, Code indicated Cyl. 2. Swapped coil & injector to cyl. 5 and replaced all plugs, Code still indicated cyl 2. No oil on old plug, plug tubes looked clean. Compression check looked good, all cyl. match closely (180 psi steady, simple compression check, not a leak down test). Any advice ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
9/25/2015
Ford Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What codes are you getting?

The mechanics instrument didn't show a code number, it just said "misfire cyl 2", I saw no other codes. I can check later today for other codes. He is saying it may be a burned valve, but compression is good. Car ran perfectly and started missing yesterday as I pulled off freeway.
Today we will check for a signal at the injector on Cyl 2, thinking the PCM might be at fault ? I was going to put in a new coil, a new injector, and replace valve cover gasket in an attempt to shot gun the problem prior to major work. I will attempt to get other codes. Any other advice ?

Ive never heard of a scan tool that will only give a code description. Try going to a parts store and have them pull the codes. Its important to have accurate information to diagnose it and I wouldnt be changing a bunch of parts creating more possible suspects when youre already having trouble figuring the issue out.

I will go check his scan tool first. He may have it set in a mode that did nt show the codes, I only got a glimpse. If his scan tool isn't any better I will go purchase a scan tool and test myself. Does a burned valve sound feasible with compression being good ? When you shut down the engine and restart are the scan codes reset so that swapping the coil and injector, assuming one is bad, would have resulted in a new scan code having moved to the new cylinder ? Or do the scan codes need to be reset with the scan tool before reviewing the scan codes again ? Thanks.

A burnt valve will show up on a compression test.

When you do a repair you need to clear the codes then it will take a little while to reset with the new cylinder number.

Thanks for that info. So the swapping of coil and injector may have moved the issue to Cyl 5, but this may not have appeared in the codes without clearing and running the engine more than just a minute or two. Hopefully I can ask a few more questions later after I confirm the codes. I am not sure how this service works. Regards, Brian

Yeah.. it wouldnt have changed immediately.. the PCM needs some time to see the misfire move.

You can ask all the questions needed.. this question will stay open as long as needed for follow ups even after you rate my service.

Hi Wayne, I got all the codes scanned. They are: P0302 and p0202. I made them reset the codes and then I drove the car a couple 100 yards until the dash light flashed again. Car was missing as before. Any conclusion ? COnsidering an entire new engine given the mileage (249K).

Sorry for the delay. Been so busy around here barely have had time to sit down and eat let alone work on the computer.

Anyway the codes would indicate an issue with the injector circuit on cylinder 2. Have you checked for an injector pulse with a noid light? If not start there.

Hi. In the end I had them replace the #2 coil. All wondeful again. We had moved #2 to #5 but the pcm continued to show #2 misfire. I just had him replace #2 that was now on #5 and all good.

Gotcha. Operator error ;)

For future reference moving the coil and injector is the best method to rule them good or bad as new (remanufactured) ones tend to have a high failure rate if they come from a chain parts store.

The only catch is you gotta clear the codes after doing it to see if the code moves.. or drive it a couple of hundred miles and eventually the PCM will remove the misfire from cylinder 2 and put it in history and set an active code for 5. The easiest method is to clear them.

Learning lesson for us both. Now I know to ask if they cleared the codes after swapping them if they say they already tried swapping them.

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner