Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have an 01 escape that won't crank to start when

Customer Question

I have an 01 escape that won't crank to start when it's been running for a while. I have no trigger power to starter. I replaced the ignition switch and start relay in under hood fuse box.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** cylinder or V6 engine? Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, it is a v6
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

During problem does security indicator on dash flash or does everything act normal? Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Everything is normal, no security flashing
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

It sounds like your transmission range switch has failed. Next time problem happens check to see if pin 86 at starter relay has voltage while trying to start. If not check to see if tan/light blue wire going to transmission range switch has voltage. If blue wire has voltage but not pin 86 replace the transmission range switch. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the transmission range switch, is there somewhere I can see a wiring diagram?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

The transmission switch is a switch located on transmission computer uses to make sure you are in park or neutral before allowing you to crank engine. Here is a wire diagram. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnik90lyfswj6tg/stwds.pdf?dl=0
-

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

No problem, you can reply at any time without additional fees so make sure to let me know if you run into questions. Thanks again and have a good night.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got the range sensor from Ford and installed and tested good thank you for the advice
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Good to hear it worked out. Thanks for update and have a good evening!