Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2012 FORD F550 6.7 POWER STROKE NO CODES SHUTS DOWN ON SIDE

Customer Question
2012 FORD F550 6.7 POWER...
2012 FORD F550 6.7 POWER STROKE
NO CODES SHUTS DOWN ON SIDE OF THE ROAD
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
any luck yet or information?
9/23/2015
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for the delay.

The most common component to cause this issue here and not cause any fault codes to set is the crank position sensor itself.It is located towards the back of the engine on the drivers side as shown below.This sensor sends the engine rpm signal to the computer to allow the engine computer to operate the fuel injectors and other components to allow the engine to continue to run as well as start up.In some cases when this sensor acts up the vehicle may have to sit anywhere from a minute to an hour or longer before it will restart and in other cases it may start right back up right away.With what you have described here this sounds like the component needing replaced to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Replace crank sensor still no start, what is next?
are you able to help or not

I apologize for the delay.Is your code reader able to read all computers as some can only read engine codes?

It is a snap on scanner and i believe it should

Does it always start right back up when this occurs or does it have extended cranking before it will restart?

it never starts, just cranks and cranks

Does it eventually start back up?

no it never started since it quit going down the hwy at 65 mph

O.k.,the way it sounded above was almost like it was stalling intermittently but starting back up,I just wanted to double check this.

Have you replaced the fuel filter at all to see if it was restricted?

already change fuel filters, it has good fuel pressure

O.k.,this is a difficult one for me to fully be able to diagnose from here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Ford Mechanic: Ray M., Ford Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech

Are there any warning messages on the dash when it quit?

No messages

Do you know what the high pressure fuel system is building to?

4000
Ray M.
Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech