Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2005 escape 4 cyl.and thef ligths blinks code

Customer Question

i have a 2005 escape 4 cyl.and thef ligths blinks code b1681,sometimes starts and sometimes dont.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i wiil appreciate it today and soon....cant wait to long.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is***** problem is intermittent that points toward wiring. These vehicles are somewhat known for the wiring near coil bracket on left side of engine shorting out which can cause this so I'd start by inspecting the wiring. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wich wiring inside dash or outside,in engine compartment..
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

It is in engine compartment, on left side of engine near ignition coil bracket. Let me know if you run into more questions, you could also just run a new wire too if not able to find the wiring problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok ,i will check it,let you know soon.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Sounds good, keep me updated. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok,i remove the hardness toward the fuse box, and it looks normal ,no temperature.or wires together ....the light from thef blinks...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what about the transreceiver module.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
by the way this engine has an individual coil per cylinder .
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Here is wire diagram of system. You will want to check reistance of wiring between pats module and PCM. Any wire that has over 5 ohms resistance run new wiring. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/csabh2av6xwrtgq/patswiring.pdf?dl=0
-

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi,DAN AM STILL WORKING the escape ,i remove most of wiring and check resistance on #2 blk/white cable and it has more than 5 omhsthat wire goes all the way in ,to dash .
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

You may be better off just running new wire. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But that wire were does it go to normal grond metal.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Correct, that is just a ground. So you can use a test light to verify that is getting good ground. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok,I will do that.let you know .till tomorrow am exhausted...
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

No problem, let me know if you run into questions with testing. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,Dan. I try to start the car and it did it again...now there no voltage on red/black wire...from the transceiver
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does that comes from the computer?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Yes so I'd run a new wire to replace the red/black wire. Let me know how it goes, thanks.