Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Checked volts at connection @ fuel pump and it reads 9.6

Customer Question

Hi paul
Checked volts at connection @ fuel pump and it reads 9.6 volts should it be 12. volts ?
Vern
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry the Expert you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place. Sorry for the delay.

With the key on and the engine cranking you should have battery voltage of at least 12 volts at the fuel pump on the dark green/yellow power supply wire as well as a good ground on the black wire, are you checking it while cranking the engine over?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron I had checked volts with key on but not cracking the engine over
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You only going to get an accurate reading will cranking the engine over, the pump only runs for a few seconds to prime the system key on and then shuts off till you crank the engine. Recheck it with the engine cranking and let me know the results.