A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2008 Ford Escape 3.0L Limited has an abnormal battery draw

Customer Question

2008 Ford Escape 3.0L Limited has an abnormal battery draw coming from fuse #5 in smart junction block. Help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

How much of a draw does it have?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Removing #5 fuse at smart junction block stops
oscillations and drops draw to 10 milli amps. Replacing sbj
did not help. It sits at 12 mA and will randomly spike to 140 mA's

Try unplugging the keypad on the door and see if it still has the random spikes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Keypad and shift interlock already unplugged, no difference.

How long are these spikes lasting? The PCM is the only other thing running off that circuit... may have something waking up the PCM (a door switch or something)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pcm is unplugged. Spikes are random 1, 4, 2,6, 1, etc. They last a second each and do it about 10-15 times per minute

How long are you waiting before checking for a draw?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Overnight. It never stops. Fully charged batt dead in 5 days.

OK. Just making sure you are waiting long enough. This one needs at least 45 minutes to an hour for the modules to go to sleep.

Have you load tested the battery? A bad battery can and will cause random spikes like this? If you havent yet done that try now or try a different battery if you have one handy.

The next step would be to try it with the alternator disconnected.. it too can cause this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Repeated batteries do the same thing. Alt disconnected. Removing fuse #5 is the only thing that stabilizes the draw.

Considering you have disconnected or replaced everything that could affect it I am at a loss. Im gonna opt out and see if another expert has any experience with it. Without being able to check it myself I have no other answers for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thx
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.

Fuse #5 in the SJB powers more than the keyless entry and the shift interlock. I need you to look at the diagram below of the SJB and unplug one connector at a time that I listed below and see what connector stops the draw.

C2280C

C2280D

C2280F

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Leaving for the day will try first thing in the morning. Thank you!

Please keep me informed. Also, if you can give me the VIN# ***** the mileage, I can contact a resource we use at the dealership called Hotline.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Connector C2280D takes it away.
Vin 1FMCU941X8KD92506
111,000 miles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello?

Sorry, I work during the day at a Ford dealership as a technician and getting on line during the day to answer questions is next to impossible. I only get on this web site in the evening.

Since the draw goes away when you unplug connector C2280D, see if you have a trailer harness connector on the back of the vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Of course no problem, super busy here too.
It does have a trailer connector that looks factory. I am not by the car as I'm home, but I glanced at it today.

Plug the connectors back in and unplug the trailer tow right turn relay and the trailer tow left turn relay in the engine bay fuse box. Below is a diagram or the fuse box.

We are narrowing it down.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's missing Trailer Tow Park, Left turn & Right Turn relays.
Swapped know good ones ~> no change
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I found an Unopened trailer kit in the back with instruction sheet and the three relays.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

And none of the other fuses in the SJB effect the current draw?

Even 10 mA is too much per Ford specs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just SJB fuse #5 - 10 amp. Any ideas?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

This is odd. Unless something is back feeding the circuit. Below is the diagram I am looking at.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

See below

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Better diagram than I have.
I'm all over this thing, it's incredible!
SJB is isolated and it still pings.
Keypad switch assembly disconnected, floor shifter disconnected, no tow relays, it is connector C 2280 D that gets rid of it
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The bad part of connector C2280D is that is has up to 32 wires in it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Analyzed them already.
Pins # ***** 8, 12 & 24 grounds surge on a MV scale with the pings. Grounds under the seat and LF qtr are good.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Did you let the vehicle sit with the meter on it for up to 45 minutes for everything to power down. Some of the modules take that long to finally power down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's in the bay doing it right now, it starts doing it after clock down, approx 28 minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sits btw 9 -14 mA's and those spikes you see go to 138 mA's and are totally random but current is super consistant. Sometimes 20 spikes p/min, other times 5 p/min. Five days later you have a dead batt.
Tricky one for sure but I'll be able to spend some solid time on it tomorrow as I'm running out of customer's time.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Are there any aftermarket accessories on the vehicle like an added on alarm, radio, amps....?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

I put a request for help to a friend of mine in Dearborn. I will not hear back from him till tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pls ping me in the morning as soon as you hear from him. It's a factory problem, I think we're going to see more of them.
Maybe I'll beat you to it and have an answer for You!
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

I am still looking over the diagrams tracing down all the circuits and where they go. It is easier if I could put my hands on the vehicle and actually test it myself.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Below is what he mentioned for us to check.

C466 is on the subwoofer amplifier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Amp and sub are disconnected but will try what he said in that email and let you know results. Thx a ton.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change with c466 and no connector or circuit issues SBP38.
Besides I reiterate, only SJB Fuse #5 get rid of it.
SDARS, ACM, disconnected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
C2280D - 13, 25, 26
C2280C - 11, 23
C2280F - 21, 23
SJB fuses # ***** 6 removed.
Drain remains and only goes away by pulling fuse # *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant to say that the above wires are disconnected for 2 hrs. Drain ramains
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Let me run this new info past him. See what else he has.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Virtually isolated power supply. Fuse #5 and C2280D plugged in. Almost all else disconnected AFTER clock down, about 25 min when it begins random pinging.
IPC, FICM, Air Bag, All exterior lighting, all doors and rear harnesses. All fuses and CB removed. Incredible! All audio, nav, sat unplugged.
All six FET's related to fuse #5 isolated from the circuit.
Customer being super cool so I bought more time.
Thanks for hanging in there with me Anthony! It's an odd one.
Below is SJB all disconnected and drain.Notice: when I isolated the six FET's the ping dropped from 138 mA's to 88 mA's.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Still have not heard back from them. May not hear back till Monday. I'll try to dig up the circuits in that connector.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Read the report below. Also, did you program the SJB to the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't but that's where we got to on Fri, as were sort of out of options and have so isolated the fault.
It's happening in about an hour. I'll let you know.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Please keep me informed. Also, if the SJB is not programed, the dome lights will flash on and off with the key on and the TPMS (Tire Pressure Sensor) fault will display on the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re-flashed smart junction box in the entire car including TPMS. No change. I am growing more and more suspicious of the TPMS system somehow malfunctioning.
No faults found with any of what Ford suggested.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

What makes you think the TPMS is at fault?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's such an odd sequence to the pings. I feel it's an RF signal. New keys. Drivers done will flash due to TPMS prog. All four wheels report and program but when you cycle the ignition TPMS light on dash comes on and no codes, I haven't driven it yet. Took all four wheels off and set them a distance from the car, looking for a TPMS valve not sleeping.
Help!
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

See the instructions below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Soo I just found out that this car was at a ford dealer for a month. They told him that the audio system was malfunctioning and that it must be disconnected but told him that the car was not repairable so it came to us with entire Hvac and audio disconnected behind the dash. It was a three other shops for another cumulative three months.
Btw, the reason C2280D gets rid of the drain is that you remove ground connections 7,8,12,24 rendering SBJ dead.
I'm on to something though and will let you know.