Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Have 2008 f350 6.4 had dpf off exhaust system started truck

Customer Question
for 20 sec started right...
have 2008 f350 6.4 had dpf off exhaust system started truck for 20 sec started right up put dpf on and hooked up exhaust now truck will not even turn over when i turn key.had wrench symbol on dash and said reduced power code showed plugged dpf.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
9/22/2015
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** with the exhaust hooked back up, the starter s=does not even turn over?

started fine prior to putting dpf back on, but does nothing starter.has plenty of juice from the battery
had codes p1335,p0404,p2436,p2452,p0405,p2453. emission codes went to limp mode then i changed dpf filter.would the trucks pcm shut down the truck

Is there an anti theft light flashing on the dash, when you try to start it? have you pulled codes since it would not start?

yea i reset with key but still shows?

if the light is flashing when you tr to start it, then this means the computer has lost its programming for the key, have you tried a spare key in this yet?

let me try a spare key

let me know,Tim

tried spare key no good would a bad sensor from dpf or cat cause it not to start ,or would the reduced power mode it was in cause it not to start.

No, the only thing that will cuse the key light to flash and a no start is the programming of the key in the computer, did you have the battery disconnected when you removed the DPF?

no

some how it lost its programming, none the less, the key will need to be reprogrammed into the computer, the dealer can do this, but we use mobile locksmiths to come to the car and do this, our local locksmith charges 70 dollars for this, the dealer gets over 200, and you have to tow it to them, but until the computer recognizes the signal from the key, it will not let it start,Tim

just the key reprogramed you think the computer itself is fine
also just to make sure if the key is in position 3 and the alarm had been activated what would show on the instrument cluster

the light should come on for about 2 seconds, then shut off, if the computer recognizes the key, if it does not, the light will stay on or flash, I do not think the computer is bad, we see this alot on these vehicles, it can lose its programming fr many resons, but I have never had one due to a bad computer,Tim

when i turn key on alarm symbol goes off after about 2 sec or so,.i just started it by leaving key on and i jump the terminals on starter truck runs fine.,if the alarm symbol dissappears after 2 sec wouldn't that mean it recognizes the key.

Yes, if the light goes off after 2 seconds, then it is recognizing the key, I thought you said it stayed on??

I just started it by jumping the starter and when i turned it off and tried to restart it, it started with the key.what do you think maybe starter solenoid was stuck.

Yes, it could have been the solenoid, or the nuetral safety switch, is it starting every time now?

seems to be.thanks

Anytime, let me know if you need more help,Tim

If you need more help with this, dont hesitate to ask, if not, then please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH