EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

My 2004 Freestar, I can't get the tailgate to open. I

Customer Question

My 2004 Freestar, I can't get the tailgate to open. I removed the inside cover. I tried to pull the cable to the assembly, but it still will not open. I was following the directions you gave from a previous thread. The assembly was all rusted out, and I tried using lubricant .
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 years ago.

Hi. At this point, you are going to have to try and manipulate the latch with a screwdriver or pry bar and try to force the latch to move. You will need to be pulling on the cable while try to pry the latch open.

Keeping lube on the latch is a good idea as well. It is possible that the latch will have to be destroyed to get it to release.