Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Just attempting this myself now-so I just unbolt the engine

Customer Question
Hey there, just attempting this...
Hey there, just attempting this myself now-so I just unbolt the engine mounts, and then jack it up.. I don't have an engine harness or anything, is there any risk when jacking the motor up from underneath it could come off the mounts?? Just don't want to have a problem! Also it doesn't look like I can even get 5" clearance cause the top of the motor is going to hit the body of the van after I go up like an inch and a half.. I've already got half the bolts taken off the water pump, I've got the 4 bolts all taken off the water pump pulley, and I've got the alternator, coolant reservoir, and a bunch of other stuff taken out without jacking up. But I can't get that damn pulley off the water pump and I can't access a couple of the bolts unless I get it up! Basically all I have to jack the engine up is a 2 ton compact jack and lumber. I do t have any fancy shop equipment and I don't want my motor to "fall", "shift" or kill me lol!! But I'm a carpenter by trade and a part time car guy so I'm capable just never done this. Thanks in advance!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
If your wondering I am trying to replace water pump and subsequently the serpentine belt on 05 Ford free star limited (4.2L)
I also need to confirm how many nuts/bolts I need to take off, I see the one nut under frame near my oil filter, where are the rest I need to loosen or take off in order to lift with my jack?!
9/20/2015
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

You can jack the engine up to get the water pump pulley and the water pump off. Below are the directions and diagrams from the factory shop manual for replacing the water pump. Please let me know if you need any more info.

A. Penland
A. Penland