Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Expansion tank cap blew off ford fiesta

Customer Question

Expansion tank cap blew off ford fiesta
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 years ago.

Have you been having trouble with the engine getting hot before this happened?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It do not show on gauge it just shot up all of a sudden

Thanks,

I bet it has a small coolant leak(antifreeze) and over time it lost enough to make the engine run hot and thats why it blew the cap off.

How much coolant did you have to add to the tank after replacing the cap?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About a ltr of water could it be a air lock

Thanks,

It might be an air lock but it would have had to loose coolant first.

Is the gauge showing normal now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
AA put a test on expansion tank with pressure cap got it up to temp 105 had to drive one mile and put new cap on next day this happen 4 days later again

Ok, that really helps me. Thanks.

Take it in and have the engine thermostat replaced. On these cars they tend to get corrosion built up on the t-stat and it will stick closed and cause too much pressure in the system. Its not an expensive repair at all and will take care of the problem!

LJ

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Aa check thermostat he had it on a computer and it showed when it opened up and also waited until fan kicked in

Thats the whole problem though. When it gets a build up on the t-stat it will stick only sometimes and then work fine the rest of the time. I have seen this happen thousands of times over the last 36 years i have been doing this :-)

Bot***** *****ne is if you have the cooling system pressure tested for leaks and none are found, then i guarantee you the t-stat is sticking intermittently.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try thanks

Please do. I feel real confident it needs replaced.

Take care.

I hope that i have provided the information you were seeking. If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you.