Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I work every day till 1-3 depending on customer load, so

Customer Question
Chris, I work every day...
Chris, I work every day till 1-3 depending on customer load, so evenings are my best time as well. I am not an expert mechanic but am fairy capable, although admittedly my expertise is fairly minimal with computerized cars. I am near 70 and have been a
car nut most of my life. I do my own brakes, tuneups, general maintenance, engine swaps, things of that nature. I have two 97 Tbirds. The one I am working on in the blog is a 4.6 model I have had some trouble over the last two years with it related to fan
relays, a bad brain, etc and during that time period I also experienced the typical ford intake manifold seal failure on the right rear and it over heated. I replaced the intake manifold, had some minor tweaking of the injector seals, which I replaced, and
it was running pretty good for a period of time. I had a noisy right rear axle hub and since it has 163,000 on it, I purchased a cream puff 97 Sport package model with 39,000 original miles. I parked the old bird and it has developed this erratic miss since
then. I have replaced one of the two coils, plugs, wirers, along with most of the sensors on the engine. I would be happy to provide you the added 12 bucks if you feel it is something I can use to help you determine where to attack the problem. Carl in Riverview
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
9/18/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

What concern on your thunderbird do you need me to help you address?

The one I am working on in the blog is a 4.6 model I have had some trouble over the last two years with it related to fan relays, a bad brain, etc and during that time period I also experienced the typical ford intake manifold seal failure on the right rear and it over heated. I replaced the intake manifold, had some minor tweaking of the injector seals, which I replaced, and it was running pretty good for a period of time. I don't drive it every day and it has developed this erratic miss since then. I have replaced one of the two coils, plugs, wirers, along with most of the sensors on the engine. \So far all I see from this site is asking for money, and repeats of the question. I need to have you help me figure out the miss, based on the codes I sent earlier and using some of your suggested diagnostics and diagrams you offered, which I haven't see yet as well. Carl in Riverview

I did not realize you had asked a question prior, most just respond on the previous question.

0135, 0141, 0155, 0166, 1132, 1157

The first 4 codes are for O2 sensor (1ll 4 of them) heater issues. The O2 sensors have heaters in them to heat them up to speed up the process in getting the sensor ready to read the air oxygen content so the air fuel ratio can be adjusted correct. The last 2 codes are for sensor switch activity form possible lean or rich issues. Below are the diag steps in a link starting at test H30 then H40 then H80.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/thunderH.pdf

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

chris, I have to take a break on this one for a week, company coming in from out of town. I will check back in once they leave. I have a 4 post lift as well to help when the time comes to start these diagnostics. Please bear with me till I can get through this family visit and we can lick this problem together. I appreciate your help...Carl

No problem, just a heads up, with no rating the post will time out and close on the 24th at dinner time.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician