Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Sorry confusion. I'm the 2003 expedition with starting

Customer Question

Sorry for the confusion. I'm the 2003 expedition with starting problems. Sometimes it starts correctly and othertimes it cranks 2 to 5 seconds then starts lightly at first then gets stronger. That may sound strange but when it starts normal it starts strong.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Over the last 75k, can you tell me all the repairs you have done?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My expedition has 210000 miles and is driven highway everyday and still gets 15 mpg. Work done include the new gas filter, new plugs, 3 new coils, and one blown out plug. I have been using injected cleaner and upper lube for the last two tanks. Still doing it. Throttle body cleaner is next. Have tried to give a little gas during the 2 to 5 second cranks. Sometimes it starts sooner and some not.

Do you have another post open already that I was helping you on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did but when I rated the answer it completed that question. Don't know but I have trouble navigating this site. On this session I received your recommendations and am in process of cleaning the throttle body with an approved cleaner. Wasn't sure about the leaking injectors but figured that there would be a gas smell when the motor started. I have not noticed any gas smell when starting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more modification I just thought about is I modified the air filter housing to simulate the K&N mounting and am running a recently cleaned K&N filter. I left the original air intake assembly and only opened up the filter housing to allow more air flow. This was done 80000 miles ago with a gain of 2 mpg.

When you you have a leaking injector the smell would be from the exhaust and possibly some black smoke that would last about 1-3 seconds.

The K/N is fine, just blot off some of the excess oil since it can effect the reading of the MAF sensor when oil gets on it.

Your right on the cut off, does yours have the electronic or cable driven throttle body?

At operating temp what is the idle speed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The throttle body is cable operated and warm idle is about 8/900rpm.
Have cleaned the throttle body where the back side was the color of the gasket. Noticed the throttle plate was sticking slightly before cleaning. Have reassembled and test started several times with good results. Will test more tomorrow to make sure.

Thats great, keep me in the loop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, cleaned the throttle body like we talked. Drove today and each time (4) I started it was the 2 to 5 second crank time. There was at least 1/2 hr between starts. It seemed that when I depressed the accelerator slightly it would start then.

Since throttle application helps, I would replace the idle air control valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't forgotten but having trouble getting the old idle air control valve removed. Might have to remove the entire throttle body assembly to get to the bolts. The hex on the top bolt has rounded off.

Try gripping the bolt using vice grips or use a die grinder to cut a slot into it and use a flat head screwdriver.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finally got the idle air control valve replaced. Vice grips helped. Bad part is that it still does the 2 to 5 sec crank and requires a touch of the gas pedal to start.
I'm a little perplexed. The air control valve provides the air flow to set the fuel for the start sequence correct? Both the old valve and the new one are normally open so the solenoid must close the valve when the motor starts. So when I touch the accelerator do I add more air flow which increases the fuel to allow the start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes a little too much pedal and the motor races when it starts.
I did disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes to reset the computer. No difference.
I don't have to give it gas to start but it cranks longer.

The IAC and throttle body just control the air into the engine, they effect the way the computer adjusts the fuel based on the O2 sensor readings. Does this long crank happen when the engine is cold or hot or both?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The long crank happens mostly when warm and is almost every time now. I try to let it start normal before I tap the accelerator but when it is cold it seems to crank longer. Sometimes I turn it off while still cranking and when I try to restart, it starts normal.

My next steps would be monitoring the fuel pressure to make sure it is rising fast enough before the key gets to the start position. Verify the plugs are not older than 70k, then have an injector flow test ran to see if one or more injectors are bleeding down and flooding the engine while off.