Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 95 f350 powerstroke that has a fuel clog problem. I

Customer Question

I have a 95 f350 powerstroke that has a fuel clog problem. I had oil in the fuel so I installed new o-rings in the injectors. The engine started and ran for 15 minutes and died. We are getting no fuel so we drained the tank and filled it with fresh diesel and still no fuel. Blew the line into tank and then primed up but no fuel to the lines to the heads. removed filter housing and cleaned. Cleaned the screen to the fuel regulator(had goo in it) still no fuel. The manual pump had been replaced 5000 miles before but the old one wasn't bad the filter housing was clogged. We are on our 2nd new filter.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

With the filter top off, cranking the engine, does the filter housing fill up and over flow?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 2 years ago.

Is this a power stroke engine or the old IDI engine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
POWERSTROKE F350
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 2 years ago.

Check the high pressure pump reservoir to see if the oil level is about 1 inch below the top of the cover, let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is full to the top
Expert:  Ray M. replied 2 years ago.

Its possible then that the IPR has stuck open after getting debris in it, I have seen the wires to the IPR break inside the covering and loose contact.

Since the fuel filter housing is filling up but your still getting no fuel to the injectors. This means we now need to perform a fuel pressure test prior to the heads while cranking the engine, can you do that?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The problem is it will not start. I am getting fuel to the filter but no fuel out the lines from the banjo.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got 30 psi while turning over the engine

Thanks, ***** ***** you take this fuel pressure reading at?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the shrader valve

Thats odd your getting 30 psi at the shrader before the pressure regulator since the the shrader is on the return line after the fuel has flowed through the heads. Did you remove the fuel inlet lines at the head, crank the engine, and verify no fuel is coming out?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No we just cracked them. I thought the schrader valve was for the filter.

Review the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/shrader.png

Are you sure there is still not an oil getting into the fuel issue, it could be oil pressure your getting at the shrader.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have found alot of debris in the filter and the pressure regulator. The oil was very dirty. The man I got the truck from said his son was using fryer oil and the front tank is still clogged. I had dying problems before I replaced the injector o-rings. A new cps just now arrived.

Based on the fluids being dirty. I may be best to drain everything, take all the lines off and clean everything out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know for sure if the oil in the fuel is over because when I was trying to find out what was going on I ran 3 or 4 crankcases full of oil out and the last one only went 50 miles. The fuel tank was full of oil and I have tried to flush it all out without tearing everything down. Tomorrow will start the teardown and I would like any suggestions on things to check and things to clean starting at the fuel tanks and ending at the end of the return line

The engine can burn oil, so its not going to hurt it, its actually good for power and injector lubrication. Normally oil in the fuel means there is faulty injectors, or a internal crack in the heads and the oil galley is pumping oil into the fuel galley. To diagnose that, you cap off the fuel supply or return line and use 60 psi air pressure on the other fuel line to see if it can hold.

Since its had crisco in it and now you have found evidence of clogging up. Being its a return fuel system. Once you start cleaning you have to clean it all at once or the gunk at the end will be able to flow back to the beginning where you have already cleaned. I would use alot of spray can brake cleaner and compressed air on the tank, pump, lines, filters, regulator, heads.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about the IPR and the ICP? Can they be check or cleaned? What I am hearing from you is I probably don't have a fuel supply problem as much as a electrical (microprocessor or sensor) problem. The cleanup needs to be done to prevent future problems. Is this a accurate summary? Is there more you would add?

If you are wanting to address the oil system at the same time as the fuel system then yes you would clean those out as well. I was just sticking with the concern you mentioned of no fuel. While cranking the ICP should register above 500psi or it will not start.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a new cps, 15-40 oil and filter, fuel pump and fuel line on hand in case I need them. I use acetone and ether for cleaning.

Make sure the acetone will break down gunked up Crisco. I know ether will but its expensive and sprays a can empty fast.