Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I'm having some issues with my 2000 F350 7.3. It drove fine

Customer Question

Hi Chris. I'm having some issues with my 2000 F350 7.3. It drove fine to work today. I got in it to go to lunch and noticed the fan motor was blowing air out of the vents. Strange. Started the truck and after driving for a few minutes the O/D light started blinking, and the speedometer isn't working. Truck shifts fine (auto trans) and the turn signals work. From what I'm reading it's my VSS sensor on the rear diff or a relay behind the radio?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Maybe I am not understanding what your trying to say here " It drove fine to work today. I got in it to go to lunch and noticed the fan motor was blowing air out of the vents. Strange" Are you saying the blower was running, but the key was not turned on?

Most often the no speedometer and flashing OD light is a sign the rear axle speed sensor has failed. Was the vehicle wet from rain or a car wash yesterday or today?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the fan blower was going without the key in the ignition. Then I started the truck, had the OD light flashing on my shifter, something was intermittently beeping at me from the dashboard, and the speedometer wasn't working. It was raining exceptionally hard today. I've read that if there's a windshield leak, water can drip onto the fuse box. I found a bunch of people who have had similar symptoms, but not too much on what they actually had to do to fix it.

Can you remove the fuse box and GEM module on the back of it near the drivers left shin. Take them aparta nd see if there are signs of water, rust, or electrical arcing. If so they need to be replaced, programmed and the windshield removed and resealed.