Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

03 Ford Taurus dome light stays on with all the door shut it

Customer Question
is a wagon...
03 Ford Taurus dome light stays on with all the door shut it is a wagon
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
9/14/2015
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is either caused by a bad door switch, or the switch on the dash is moved over to the dome light position, have you checked the switch yet?

No I made sure switch was off it does show 4 doors open on dash

It shows that all 4 doors are open on the dash???

it does also code b1790 and b1318

Ok, the B1318 is a low voltage code, and can cause different modules to malfunction, have you checked the voltage at the battery when its running, and also when the engine is off?

Battery is a little low but running is 14.2 battery low because of dome light staying on but it's been running 15 min and I had changed starter on car and it didn't need to be jump

how low is it with the engine off? If it drops below 10.5 volts, then this code will set, have you load tested the battery?

No only by cranking with headlights on

I would first load teat the battery, if its shows good, then suspect the GEM is bad, generic electric module, the GEm controls the dome lights, and if bad, can set both of these codes,Tim

Ok

it wont be a switch problem, if all 4 doors show open, its either going to be a bad battery, or the GEM is bad,Tim

OK one thing that did happen when I disconnected the battery or the starter and put everything back together a light was off and then come back on till I open the door and it stayed on after that OK one thing that did happen when I disconnected the battery or the starter and put everything back together a light was off and then come back on till I open the door and it stayed on after that

did you load test the battery??

no i don't have a way to do that

younwill have to do that first, most parts houses like autozone, and Oriellys will do that for free, if the battery checks out good, then its going to be a bad GEM,Tim

Checking that today will be in touch

Let me know, if the battery checks good, then you will need a GEM,Tim

Waiting on friend getting battery tested
They finaly got it checked battery is fine the previous owner said that a year ago the passenger door lock clicked and then it stopped and then some light never came on after it quit clicking but now it is staying on all the time and dash light is on for door open shows all 4 doors

hello Tim

Then you most likely hav a bad GEM, as the GEM also controls the locks,Tim

any testing

Not eally, you can check the inputs to the GEM from the door switches, But I seriously doubt all 4 switches are bad, and that would not effect the door locks, the GEM is the only common component in this, if it were a bad instrument cluster, that would also not effect the door locks, nor would it keep the dome light on,Tim

Can you tell me how to test that module

You will need a scanner to communicate with the GEM, to manually switch on/off the dome light and to read the inputs from the door switches,Tim

I have a access to a Snapon solus edge will that work
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH