Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 1996 ford explorer. v6 4L I get an error code 6

Customer Question

I have a 1996 ford explorer. v6 4L
I get an error code for cylinder 6 misfire.
I have replaced the coil pack, wire, plug, and fuel injector. #6 cylinder still misfires. any other idea's what it might be. I do have spark from wire to spark plug.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here.

It sounds like you have covered spark and fuel and if these are operating properly (spark to cylinder 6 and the fuel injector is atomizing properly) I would next have a cylinder compression test done to see if there is low compression on cylinder 6.If low compression is found most common is a burned or damaged cylinder head intake or exhaust valve for cylinder 6.I have had to replace the cylinder head in some cases or the valve itself for this issue here.

When you have a compression test done the compression from all cylinders should be very close to even and not more then 15 psi off from each other.For example if all cylinders except cylinder 6 read something like 150 psi and cylinder 6 is 130 or lower this can indicate a compression issue causing the misfire and most common is damaged or burned valves in the cylinder head needing replaced.

If compression was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.