Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Why does my ignition timing keep needs to readjusted on my

Customer Question

why does my ignition timing keep needs to readjusted on my ford 351 my distribuator is tight
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

Why do you believe it needs to be adjusted so often? Is the engine running poorly, is the distributor actually twisting/turning or is it like I suspect and just the timing mark on the damper moving? If like I suspect and the timing mark on the damper moving, that is what is called "damper dancing". The rubber piece between the 2 parts of the damper is bad and is causing the 2 pieces to move in relationship to eachother. If this is the case, replace the damper.

If not, let me know the year, make and model also.