EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 98 Ford Taurus it has a problem starting it try's

Customer Question

I have a 98 Ford Taurus it has a problem starting it try's to catch but it just doesn't I recently changed spark plugs manifold gasket pcv vauve now it will start but as soon as I hit the gas it dies
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Have you tried disconnecting the Mass Air Flow sensor and see if it runs any different when stepping on the gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea it's the same
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Has the vehicle actually got worse since you did the work?

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

What is the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything I have done on the car was when I got it it was running fine up till bout a month ago I got a check engine light for the camshaft censor so I changed it now the light went back on with system too lean 1 and 2 so I went thru all the hoses replaced the one that was connected to the pcv vauve and now it takes a while to start up still and idles high then drops if I hit the gas it drops completely and dies
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Vacuum leaks and low fuel pressure usually cause lean codes. If you are sure there are no vacuum leaks then check the fuel pressure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check the fuel pressure
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You need to purchase a fuel pressure gage that will screw onto the port on the fuel rail of the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Before today it would start up after a few times when I put it in reverse it would stall a bit but would run at light it's would be at a normal rpm but when the light would turn green it stalled a bit went up to 3 rpm then would finally accelerate
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. You still need to verify there are no vacuum leaks. Pinch of the brake booster hose, also if you only replaced the upper intake gaskets, the lowers can also leak and cause a vacuum leak. Then once it is verified there is no leak you will need to check fuel pressure.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Also try disconnecting the idle air control valve connector and see if that makes a difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's the difference between the iac and pcv
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

pcv is a valve for allowing crankcase gasses back into the engine. The iac is an electric motor that controls air past the throttle body for idle and decel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok someone told me to try and spray starter fluid on my hoses to see if the idle jumps that would be were my leak is. Does that really work cuz I used some cleaner don't have starter fluid on hand and nothing happened
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Yeah. spraying carb cleaner or brake cleaner around hoses and gaskets will cause the engine rpms to fluctuate if there is a leak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm off tomorrow and am gonna try what you suggested and I'll let you know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I got my car to start but now any time I hit the gas it kills it
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

What did you do to get it started? Also, what was the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
28
It's not starting again I was fooling around with the fuses replaced one rest were good
Tried the cleaner and not 1 jump in rpm I sprayed every hose
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

SOunds like you do not have a vacuum leak. If it is running like you state I would think there would be codes set in the computer. When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? And is this the 24 valve DOHC 3.0 or the 12 valve 3.0?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are codes I told you fuel system too lean
12 valve 3.0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those are gone now too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My check engine light has not come back on
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The fuel pressure is too low. Spec is 35-45psi. Low pressure will set lean codes. So will vacuum leaks. So if you have no vacuum leak then the low fuel pressure concern should be addressed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would I fix that
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Start by replacing the fuel filter.