EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

2002 ford explorer sport won't start wont to anything.

Customer Question

2002 ford explorer sport won't start wont to anything. Everything works just wont start
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. There should be a theft light on the dash or in the cluster. Is the theft light blinking rapidly when trying to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. If the theft light is blinking fast then that indicates a problem with the vehicles security system. The keys have chips in them essentially, and are programmed to the vehicle.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

What you can try is using a different key if you have one. You can also try leaving the key in the ON position. Then disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes, then connect it again. If neither of those things work, then you will need to call a dealer or a locksmith who can check the security system and possibly program new keys if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called a a key smith and he couldn't do anything thing he said my problem was something else anything fuses or relys i could check out
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

You can check all the fuses under the hood and in the interior fuse box. For sure if the theft light is blinking fast then there is a problem with the security system. Did the locksmith actually look at the car? Also does it have a remote start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he did come out and ran test on the car and it do have remotes i have 2 keys and 2 remotes
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Does the theft light still blink rapidly or does it come on for 3 seconds then turn off when trying to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it still blinds fast
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Does it have remote start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just the keyless entry
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Just go ahead and check all fuses. If you want you can visually check the ring that goes around the ignition cylinder, in case the wiring is damaged. The ring is what reads the signal from the key. To check it you need to remove the trim underneath the steering column.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

If fuses are good and ring and wiring are good then you will have to have the car towed to the dealer because there is a problem with the security system and the truck will not start while the theft light is blinking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anyone you would recommend looking at first
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Fuse 14 (5amp) in the interior fuse panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is that fusebox and do you have a diagram for it
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The fuse box is inside the vehicle on the drivers side. Up under the dash.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The fuse position 14 will be labelled on the box.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

I have the wiring diagram and fuse panel breakdown in pdf format. It can come as an offer through Just Answer. It is savable and printable and in PDF format. I will send you an offer for the info.