Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2009 f250 death wobble

Customer Question
2009 f250 death wobble
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
9/9/2015
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

What are the front caster readings?

I do not know that info, the shop doing my front end work has done 3 alignments on it..

Ask them and then let me know could you.

I actually had a question about a death wobble on here a few months ago and although I always ask about caster, I am not sure that was the fix. Let me see if I can find that post.

I will find out in the am, and let you know...thank you

Ok, I cannot find that post I was talking about but the death wobble I was taught is a result most of the time by the caster. It was explained to me years ago like the front wheels on a shopping cart start wobbling when going too fast or hitting a bump and will not stop wobbling until you bring the cart to a stop. this is because the front wheels have extremely negative caster. Just the opposite would be the front forks on a chopper motorcycle. That is an example of extremely positive caster. So, if you recently changed the rear height and raised it by putting on air shocks, larger diameter tires or anything else, that would send the front caster more negative. So, the front caster should be checked. Then possibly even adjusted a degree more positive or if the rear height was changed, adjust to compensate for that.

we replaced the shocks trying to fix the problem...he said he didn't remember what the exact reading was on caster, but it was in spec

Have you done anything to change the rear ride height?

when I purchased it already had a leveling kit, that was for front, don't believe anything for rear

I would have the front caster on each front wheels adjusted 1 degree more positive and try that.

sorry I haven't gotten back to you, been super busy...we have taken the truck to a front end shop to have them see if they can diagnose this problem and double check alignment...will update when I know more...thank you

Ok, remember I need to know the caster readings.

just found out both sides are negative caster, how much I don't know but is due to some triangle bracket, know more tomorrow

Yeah, that's way off. How can 3 alignments be one without them seeing that. Anyhow, I bet that is the reason for the death wobble. From what I see, the caster should be about 3-4 degrees positive.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician