Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

2009 f250 death wobble

Customer Question

2009 f250 death wobble
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What are the front caster readings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know that info, the shop doing my front end work has done 3 alignments on it..
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ask them and then let me know could you.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I actually had a question about a death wobble on here a few months ago and although I always ask about caster, I am not sure that was the fix. Let me see if I can find that post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will find out in the am, and let you know...thank you
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I cannot find that post I was talking about but the death wobble I was taught is a result most of the time by the caster. It was explained to me years ago like the front wheels on a shopping cart start wobbling when going too fast or hitting a bump and will not stop wobbling until you bring the cart to a stop. this is because the front wheels have extremely negative caster. Just the opposite would be the front forks on a chopper motorcycle. That is an example of extremely positive caster. So, if you recently changed the rear height and raised it by putting on air shocks, larger diameter tires or anything else, that would send the front caster more negative. So, the front caster should be checked. Then possibly even adjusted a degree more positive or if the rear height was changed, adjust to compensate for that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we replaced the shocks trying to fix the problem...he said he didn't remember what the exact reading was on caster, but it was in spec
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Have you done anything to change the rear ride height?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I purchased it already had a leveling kit, that was for front, don't believe anything for rear
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I would have the front caster on each front wheels adjusted 1 degree more positive and try that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I haven't gotten back to you, been super busy...we have taken the truck to a front end shop to have them see if they can diagnose this problem and double check alignment...will update when I know more...thank you
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, remember I need to know the caster readings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just found out both sides are negative caster, how much I don't know but is due to some triangle bracket, know more tomorrow
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, that's way off. How can 3 alignments be one without them seeing that. Anyhow, I bet that is the reason for the death wobble. From what I see, the caster should be about 3-4 degrees positive.