Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ok, so here goes. I have a 1995 F250 with the 7.3

Customer Question
Ok, so here goes....
Ok, so here goes. I have a 1995 F250 with the 7.3 international. It has 197k miles and is in rather good shape. I met the family of the person who owned it before me and they said it was a one owner mechanic owned truck. I have had it for a few months but have no records of what was done to it prior to me. The problem seems to be that when I got the truck it was running well but as time went on it seemed as though the voltage indicator on the dash was slowly climbing. I had the batteries tested and they checked good, They are 84 month batteries that are about 2 years old. The alternator was putting out about 14.6 volts but as I said the dash indicator rose a tiny bit daily. The truck also started having problems starting. It seemed as though the starter solenoid was having problems seating into the fly wheel and I was getting a noise that sounded like a high speed impact gun used to take off lug nuts. if I put the truck in neutral and moved it a bit as I put it in park you can hear the solenoid engaging and the truck would start up. The truck also seemed to be running rough and the exhaust seemed a bit off like its not completely burning the fuel. Last week I went to work very early in the morning and the voltage indicator started dropping on the 17 mile trip. by the time I got there the battery light came on and the truck was running like garbage. I took the truck to the parts store t lunch and the guys there tested the alternator and said it was bad, only making about 12.2 volts so we replaced it The truck immediately started working better and was charging at 14.6 so I went on my way. Well, two days ago the same thing is starting to happen the starter solenoid having problems and the voltage indicator climbing. Sorry for the length of this bit I want to be as thorough as possible. I have an understanding of basic mechanics and electrical knowledge but this is making me crazy. Any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
I thought I should ad this. I live in a rather humid area near the coast in Oregon. Not sure if this is relevant to this situation but who knows.
Some other info you might find helpful. When the key is turned into the start position and the glow plugs start to heat up the voltage indicator stays very low. maybe 11 or 12 volts. Once the wait light goes off the indicator stays low for maybe 45 seconds then there is an audible click from the engine compartment and the voltage rises to near normal position while running. This happen weather I start the engine or not. Waiting for this to cycle through seems to have no effect on the starter working properly as I stated originally.
9/7/2015
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.

From what you have described here this sounds like a possible fault with corroded or damaged battery power or ground wiring.This can cause the voltage meter to climb as it is trying to receive more charge and can cause premature failure of the alternator as it tries to charge properly.This may or may not be related to the starter issue as I have seen with the starter issue where the starter teeth wear or fly wheel teeth wear with one or both of these components needing replaced to correct this.

I would have the cables checked for high resistance and any corrosion or damage and replaced as needed.Inspect engine wiring for any damage or corrosion needing repaired and inspect the starter and flywheel completely for any issues with either of these needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Pete, Auto Service Technician