Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I've got a 1996 Mustang Gt with a cranks /no start problem.

Customer Question
Hi I've got a 1996...
Hi I've got a 1996 Mustang Gt with a cranks /no start problem. My odometer gears broke, so I pulled the dash cluster and replaced the gears. I didn't disconnect the negative cable from the battery when i reinstalled the cluster, so I may have blown or shorted something. I just installed a new battery, the old one was 4 years old and tested bad. The PATS system works, the theft light flashes three times and goes out when key is turned. I hav a steady battery light on the dash, and the fuel pump is not priming when the key is turned to ON. Ive cbecked the alternator and fuel pump fuse under hood, they are ok.
Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
9/6/2015
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

When cranking, is the fuel injector pulse and ignition spark occurring?

If you jump power to the fuel pump via the pump relay or inertia switch, does the pump then make fuel pressure?

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

I tested the coil packs and I am getting spark when cranking and i havent tested fuel pressure yet. I believe the fuel pump relay is in the ccrm under the passenger wheel well, which i cant access due to where the car is parked. Although I am fairly experienced in mechanics , Im less so in troubleshooting elecrical systems, so please bear with me.
I saw that the check engine light does not come on when the key is turned to on position, and my code scanner is not reading any codes.
Also the inertia switch has not been tripped

The CEL not on with the key on, would indicate the PCM is not powering up. If I provide a PCM pin chart could you check all the PCM powers and grounds?

i can do that tomorrow any advice or tips on testing it would be helpful thanks
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician