Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 03 ford f 250 sd 4wd the transfer shift motor

Customer Question
locked up and I replaced...
I have a 03 ford f 250 sd 4wd the transfer shift motor locked up and I replaced it and now it will only shift one way it will shift from 2wh to 4wh or 4wh to 4wL but it will not shift back from any possition could it be the switch??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
9/5/2015
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 2 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Yes, it could be the switch or it could be the relays under the hood. You have one relay to move the shifter one way and another to move the shifter back the other way.

under the hood, there is a box with only 2 relays in it. It should be the relay box on the driver side, as you are standing at the driver steer tire, the box is the small one to your left, closest towards the front. The box itself sits next to the fuse box. You should have one large fuss box and 2 small relay boxes.

Swap those relays with each other and try it again. If it moves, One relay is bad. If not, then look at the switch.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

It's a 6.0 liter deisel I have one box on the driver side that has 4 relays and two small fuses two of the relays are the same size the other two are different sizes

The small box with same size relays is what to swap.

Jeremy
Jeremy