Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2006 ford expedition 2wd 5.4l engine vehicle runs and drives

Customer Question

2006 ford expedition 2wd 5.4l engine
vehicle runs and drives great no misses nothing till 3200 rpm at 3200 engine makes clanking noises sounds terrible no power throws a pending code cyc 3 and a pending misfire random misfire. (replaced cyc3 plug and coil) no change. learned it is a 3v motor. replaced cam phaser solonoids....same problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** sounds like you have a clogged catalytic converter. Remove front oxygen sensors completely to relieve exhaust pressure, if that allows rpm to go higher you know the converter is clogged and needs to be replaced Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we pulled the upstream o2 sensor and while driving it, it sounded better once it reached 3200 rpm but the CEL started flashing with the same pending cyc 3 misfire. My mechanic is saying we need to replace the timing chain??? I am a small car dealer and work on my cars every day or two so any other suggestions you give me I won't be getting back to you till next tuesday or wednesday. I did order a cat for the #3 side of engine though because it did sound a lot better but that pending code started again????
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

With pending code next thing I'd do is swap injector with another cylinder and/or a compression test and cylinder leak down test which would test the integrity of the motor itself. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually replaced the injector, coil, and plug for that cyclinder but the weird thing is it runs and drives great with no codes as long as you keep it under 3200 rpm
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you may have a sticking valve, I would do a running compression test next.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey one more thing real quick on cat is at 320f degrees the other one is around 200f degrees.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That could be simply from unburned fuel going into converter and igniting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would that sticking valve make that horrible noise at 3200 rpm?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes it could. Let me know how the compression test goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.