Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My 2000 Maxima runs fine at idle, but once I give it gas, it

Customer Question

My 2000 Maxima runs fine at idle, but once I give it gas, it cuts out after 2000 rpm, tries to stall. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

This fault here is usually caused by a weak fuel pump or restriction with the fuel filter to where the fuel injectors are not receiving enough fuel to atomize/operate the fuel injectors properly.I have seen this occur before where there is enough pressure and volume to start the engine but once reached to a certain rpm the fuel volume or pressure is to low and cannot keep up with the needed engine speed causing this here.

I would have the fuel system tested if you have not done this already to see if a fuel issue is found like a weak pump or restriction with the filter needing replaced.This usually requires having the fuel pressure tested with a fuel pressure test gauge when the vehicle is acting up.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just replaced the fuel pump (new Bosch), still the same issue. Something may be going on with the air intake, it is custom, and it may have sucked some water in it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you think your air intake has sucked in some water inspect the engine air filter and see if is wet with water.If it is the air intake needs cleaned and dried out and the engine air filter replaced.If this is found to be o.k. let me know.

Thanks Pete